Lenz Silver Mini decoder lost its address

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
abenn

Lenz Silver Mini decoder lost its address

Postby abenn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:21 am

Just a note in case anyone else has this problem:

Yesterday my N-gauge Deltic was running around my track for quite a while, as my wife had expressed an interest in how to operate my railway. In the meantime I ran several other locos to show her how it all works. At the end of the session I parked all except the Deltic in the fiddle yard but, when I switched control to it, it wouldn't respond -- just kept running round at setting #14 on my Lenz 100 controller. In the end I pressed the red emergency stop button, then switched off the power supply.

A while later I powered up again, but my Deltic was dead -- no lights and no response. So I put it on my programming track and programmed its address to 08, the same as it had been, as if it were a new loco. That did the job, and it's running fine again now.

End2end

Re: Lenz Silver Mini decoder lost its address

Postby End2end » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:13 pm

My Hornby Toad jumped back to 03 the other day. I think it was caused by a short circuit by either the loco bridging an incorrect set point or the jamming up of couplings on wagons causing one to derail and touch both rails.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Decoder reset usually to its default address of 03 is not unusual following a short circuit (derailed loco) or at power down or power up. A spike is produced and that causes some (not all) decoders to self reset.
The problem can easily and normally be overcome without having to replace expensive decoders by one of two methods. 1) Fitting a simple filter (Ceramic 0.1Uf capacitor and a 100R to 150R 2watt resistor) across the bus pair if a bus is used. Or 2) Wire a 12 volt 21 watt car reversing bulb in series with one feed wire going to the bus or rails from the console.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

abenn

Postby abenn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:41 pm

I hadn't heard of decoders resetting themselves. IIRC there was a wrong point setting which caused my controller to trip out, but it was one of the other locos, not the Deltic. I didn't check to see if the Deltic had reverted to address #03 but, as I mentioned before, when I re-powered the layout next day the Deltic had no lights as well as not responding to its address on the controller.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:29 pm

A wrongly set point run into by a loco will cause a short circuit - Short Circuit equals a momentary surge of power until the power is automatically turned off and this surge results in a spike on the DCC supply. The spike can effect any decoder sitting on the DCC powered rails. Even a decoder in a different loco. They are after all all powered all of the time!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Some decoders are more sensitive to surge ‘resets’ than others. Simply readdress and continue. Fitting a snubber can often damp the spikes and prevent this happening.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Return to “DCC Forum”