Might Be Daft

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
waz

Might Be Daft

Postby waz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Chaps!
I use a Hornby Select on my layout (Dont laugh please). It's simple and does the job I want it to do without bells and whistles.
As you know it will only take 10 locos. I can do more if I duplicate the registers for other locos.
My daft question is CAN I CONNECT ANOTHER HORNBY SELECT TO THE LAYOUT AND USE REGISTER SLOTS 11 TO 20 ?
I have a 4amp booster on the Select. Another 1amp won't make much differance.

I dont realy want to spend 200 quid on an Elite out of my pension.

With kind regards

BILL.

Lancastrian

Re: Might Be Daft

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Can I suggest you contact Hornby direct, they should give you the required information and also possibly make some suggestions for you.

Email: customerservices.uk@hornby.com
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi
You cannot have a second mains powered Select connecting to the rails along side the first one (or any other DCC system for that matter). What you can do is have one Select powered and the second (or more than one other) working as Slaves to the first. The second and more gaining their power from the linking cable from the first Select. So there is no gain in overall power available. See Select manual pages 20 -23 . If you don't have a Select manual its available to download here... https://www.tehhornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/ None of the Slaves are connected to the rails or to a power supply.
AFAIK the slaves can independently control locos within the standard Select range of addresses 1 to 59. So for example if Master Select looks after locos 1 to 9. Slave 1 can operate locos with address numbers 10 to 18 etc if a second Slave 2 if one is used then 19 to 27. These are just examples.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

waz

Postby waz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:40 am

Hi Flashbang!

Thanks for that info. Yeh, have the manual and see what you mean. Seems simple enough.

Many thanks for you interest and info.

My very best regards,
BILL.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm

If you want to keep things simple and yet want to have more loco addresses, try to see if you can find a secondhand Lenz Compact, as I have seen them at bargain prices. The earlier ones have 100 loco addresses (99 and one DC address) and later ones had 127 loco addresses.
They are nice and simple and yet they have all you need. The only real limitation is they only have three loco functions to use, as back in the day they were made DCC sound was not an option. They do have point control addresses etc. So they are pretty good compared to other entry systems back then.
And as they can also be programmed to use as a slave for better Lenz DCC systems (Depending on which version numbers as they are backward and forward compatable, but the very newest Lenz products may not be compatable) you can't go wrong.

I only mention them as an option as I have seen them at bargain prices for what is a decent and reliable entry level train controller. It is also simple to use. Often I found myself using the Lenz Compact for simple programming as it was quicker then using my more advanced Lenz set 01. (I use my Compact as a slave... When I eventually sell all my 00 gauge locos I will then sell the DCC set up I have, as I use DC for my narrow gauge to keep scratchbuilding costs at a minimum).

If you do buy a Lenz Compact, make sure you have access to the instructions. You may need a transformer (16 to 18v ac at 2.5 amp is ideal) and if you buy secondhand from a dealer, if the thing does not work you can send it back. It should work as Lenz products have a "Bombproof" reputation in the DCC world...

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 am

Hornby controllers build a quick access list of locos run in a session up to a max of 10, but there is no end to how many locos you can control within the allowable address range.

Select is limited to loco addresses 1-59. Elite 1-9999. If you run more than 10 locos in a session only the last 10 are retained. You can input a new address and control that immediately so I can’t see the problem. I find it easier to input an address each time rather than scroll through a list looking for it.

According to the manual you can run up to 7 Selects in a Master and Slaves arrangement so if used sequentially that is more locos in separate quick access listings than possible loco addresses.

Regardless of the 10 limit this quick access list is lost when the unit is powered down and you start again next time.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

waz

Postby waz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi Chaps!

Thanks to everyone for their input to my question. You've been more than helpful.

My Very Best regards

Bill.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:54 pm

If the select can do 60 odd loco addresses, keep it. I was thinking it can do more then 10. Backmann DCC trainset controllers were limited to 10 (9 DCC and one DC).

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm

The Hornby Select as a main unit or as a slave to another Select or an Elite can only address locos in the range 1 to 59. End.
Nothing what so ever to do with Bachmann, Lenz, MRC, NCE or any other make of DCC system. Lets not confuse the question or OP who asked specifically about the Hornby Select.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “DCC Forum”