Bus wires

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Peterm

Re: Bus wires

Postby Peterm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:09 am

gppsoftware wrote:...I often wonder what people are doing to get all these shorts, 'spikes' and poor quality DCC signals...

In my limited experience - three layouts - it is what they were not doing. In summary not completely overhauling the layout wiring for DCC. A layout built up over the years with random cobbling together of small pieces of wire with a little impedance at this junction, missing rail connection there, dependence on a whole lot of rail joiners in series for conduction, flaky and now redundant section switches, etc.. Application of the 'coin test' to produce a short quickly established that there were zones on these layouts where the DCC system didn't trip in response. Renewing the wiring systematically, starting from the basis of a low impedance bus, was the answer: former problems gone.

The feeling I have is that many layout owners don't like to do this, there's 'disturbance' to what has been painstakingly 'finished'. Yes, you will have to tidy up the ballasting and weathering where all the new soldered on rail feeds have gone in. In recompense, the layout will now run reliably at the considerably enhanced standard that DCC offers...

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:53 pm

This is all a bit above my head but can i just ask, is a full bus "ring main" ok on a layout?
Literally a complete circle of wiring where power is "tapped off" to point motors etc.
Or should it be a run of wire which doesn't connect back to itself?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Yes. A ring is no problem.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks for that nugget of info Roger ;)
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:30 pm

End2end wrote:This is all a bit above my head but can i just ask, is a full bus "ring main" ok on a layout?
Literally a complete circle of wiring where power is "tapped off" to point motors etc.
Or should it be a run of wire which doesn't connect back to itself?
Thanks
End2end

Yes, a 'ring main' is absolutely OK on a layout.
Probably not a lot of point on an end-to-end layout or 8x4 roundy-roundies, but on a large circular layout, definitely worth doing. The 'ring main' on my 8M x 4M 'Ashprington Road' layout is rated at a 10A. No voltage drops anywhere, and load fully, equally distributed across the whole layout.

Be ware that some people say you shouldn't use ring mains. This is because the confuse the track bus with the throttle bus - throttle buses should not be put into a ring.

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Bigmet wrote:
gppsoftware wrote:...I often wonder what people are doing to get all these shorts, 'spikes' and poor quality DCC signals...

In my limited experience - three layouts - it is what they were not doing. In summary not completely overhauling the layout wiring for DCC. A layout built up over the years with random cobbling together of small pieces of wire with a little impedance at this junction, missing rail connection there, dependence on a whole lot of rail joiners in series for conduction, flaky and now redundant section switches, etc.. Application of the 'coin test' to produce a short quickly established that there were zones on these layouts where the DCC system didn't trip in response. Renewing the wiring systematically, starting from the basis of a low impedance bus, was the answer: former problems gone.

The feeling I have is that many layout owners don't like to do this, there's 'disturbance' to what has been painstakingly 'finished'. Yes, you will have to tidy up the ballasting and weathering where all the new soldered on rail feeds have gone in. In recompense, the layout will now run reliably at the considerably enhanced standard that DCC offers...

My thinking exactly. We are in agreement.

Return to “DCC Forum”