DCC issue

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
sevennno1

DCC issue

Postby sevennno1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi all

I'm very new to model railways and in particular DCC

I have a class 108 DMU that I had DCC fitted to. 1 x 8 pin chip the motor car and 1 in the dummy. I have set the motor car up but none of the lighting in the dummy works. I don't know how to sync them together

Any help would be appreciated. I am using the Ecos controller

Thanks

Paul-H

Re: DCC issue

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:00 pm

The easiest way is to couple the two units together on the programming track then just program the decoder address as normal, this will set both decoders to the same address and set the correct running direction for the lights, so white lights on the forward moving unit and red on the rear facing unit.

Paul

sevennno1

Postby sevennno1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi Paul thanks

I did try that but I had a read error. Would this because I had already set the power car up separately?

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Sounds like you have an issue with the second car

Try just reading CV1 on first the power car and then the second car on its own, if one fails to show the decoders address then that one has an issue, maybe the decoder is not installed correctly or a wire has come off.

Did you install both decoders yourself, if not are you sure the second car does actually have a decoder installed? some owners forget that they often need 2 Some Bachmann 108,s needed 2 and some only one, the version that only took one has a draw bar connecting the two with very flimsy (Read easily damaged wire connectors) double check what version you have.

Paul

sevennno1

Postby sevennno1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi
I had the chips fitted by a shop. The guy said all installed and working with directional lights
I had the dummy car on the test track and tried to scan for the chip but it shows no DCC fitted. The chip is in there as I had the body off to check
It is a Bachmann class 108

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 pm

If no lighting at all works in the un powered rear car, then its possible and assuming its an 8 pin version, it has had its 8 pin plug inserted the wrong way around. Assuming an 8 pin plug/socket then simply ease plug out and turn through 180 degrees and refit and test.

Another thing to check if reversing the 8 pin plug doesn't improve things, is to ensure there is a connection from each wheel to the decoder via pins 4 and 8 and the decoders Red and Black wires.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

sevennno1

Postby sevennno1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for the advice

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Note; I'm assuming both decoders front and rear are set to the same address number.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:54 pm

sevennno1 wrote:I had the dummy car on the test track and tried to scan for the chip but it shows no DCC fitted.

When programming DCC decoders the command station normally gets feedback via current drain on the programming track, this is usually the motor. That's why your loco "jerks" slightly when you program it.
The dummy unit won't have a motor. Do you know if it has a normal decoder or a function-only decoder?
Regards
Rob

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:56 pm

sevennno1 wrote:...I did try that but I had a read error. Would this because I had already set the power car up separately?

I believe some systems can now detect two ( or more) decoders on programme track and won't programme (preventing people from rewriting addresses on more locos than they intended).

Whatever, here's a way that will work. Programme the decoders serially in the motor car. Do the trailer car's decoder first.

Of course if you are a meanie like me you run wire connections into the trailer car so that only one decoder is required to operate both cars. It's a bit of a fiddle, but I have plenty of fine wire and solder... These are good models, (I have the class 105 which utilises the same running gear and am really pleased with them) but Bachmann did slightly cheap out on MU electrical fit after their 4CEP, which has the convenience of through wiring via conductive couplings to run the lights in all four vehicles from the one decoder in the motor coach.

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 am

I had same issue with my Bachmann 108 twin set, dummy car kept coming up as read error. In the end I programmed first chip in the power car end. Once programmed I removed it & fitted it into the dummy car. Then I put the second chip into the power car unit & programmed to same address.

Units worked for me ok. Hope this may be some assistance.
Mike
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:12 am

If it's a motor decoder put a 100 ohm resistor across the motor output. This make the decoder think it has a motor connected.
Pete.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:16 am

Peterm wrote:If it's a motor decoder put a 100 ohm resistor across the motor output. This make the decoder think it has a motor connected.

... but only for programming purposes. If you leave it fitted and apply throttle you will drop that power across the resistor by way of heat and could melt your loco.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Didn't make myself clear enough there. :oops: Thanks.
Pete.

Return to “DCC Forum”