newbie to dcc

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
RAF

newbie to dcc

Postby RAF » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 pm

DCC newbie so bear with me...

I wanted to get into DCC, so have bought a hornby e-link and railmaster, installed on a laptop OK and the software can see the e-link fine.

Set up a long section of straight track as a test, have a Bachmann 57xx DCC ready and have swapped out the blank chip for a hattons 8 pin chip.

Set up railmaster to read the train on COM3 as that should be the default.

The problem I have is that the loco is not getting anything from the controller and doesn't move at all.

Any ideas why this would be? and any help would be much appreciated.

RAF

End2end

Re: newbie to dcc

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm

First and foremost, assuming the pinouts, is the chip the correct way round?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:35 pm

I'm sorry to say this but go to the Hornby forum for help. There are some real Railmaster experts there.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm

End2end wrote:First and foremost, assuming the pinouts, is the chip the correct way round?
Thanks
End2end

Wouldn't make any difference - a 8 pin decoder fitted the wrong way round simply swops the individual track feeds and motor wires around so the loco would simply go the wrong way. On a loco with lights fitted they would either not work or work incorrectly.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Not sure about the COM3 reference, do you mean the eLink is connected to COM3 on your computer or that you have selected address 3 for the decoder

If the former make sure your software can see and communicate with the elink select the correct com port if not

If you mean address 3 are you sure the decoder is still on it default address of 3.

Not familiar with the elink does it have a programming track option, if yes you should be able to read the current value of CV1 to see what address the decoder is currently set to.

Paul

RAF

Postby RAF » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:05 pm

Paul-H wrote:Not sure about the COM3 reference, do you mean the eLink is connected to COM3 on your computer or that you have selected address 3 for the decoder

If the former make sure your software can see and communicate with the elink select the correct com port if not

If you mean address 3 are you sure the decoder is still on it default address of 3.

Not familiar with the elink does it have a programming track option, if yes you should be able to read the current value of CV1 to see what address the decoder is currently set to.

Paul

The coms for the computer are all fine. I was referring to the loco being set to coms3 as the decoder I put in it was only bought the other day from hattons and should be com3 as default.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 am

I would want to check that there is an electrical connection to the rails, if you have a multimeter set it to AC volts 50V range or thereabouts, and put the probes on the track. Then try the process for addressing the decoder, and see if any signal appears on the rails for the decoder to respond to.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am

This discussion is also live on the Hornby RM forum, where the difference between PC Com port 3 and loco address ID 3 has been explained.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Return to “DCC Forum”