K1 decoder

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
crazypotter

K1 decoder

Postby crazypotter » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi all. In the process of purchasing a K1 loco (Hornby dcc ready). Can any of you folks recommend a decent 8 pin decoder (non sound) for this model?. Model is oo gauge. Many thanks.

RFS

Re: K1 decoder

Postby RFS » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:02 pm

The decoder socket is in the tender so you should have no problem fitting a suitable decoder of your choice. I would recommend either the Lenz Standard+ or the Zimo MX600R.
Robert Smith

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:16 pm

With the Zimo, you can have working brakes.
Pete.

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Cheers guys. Will probably go for the Zimo if it is an easy one to fit. Don't won't to fiddle about with a bundle of wires etc.

RFS

Postby RFS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Both the Zimo and Lenz decoders have a similar wiring harness, but there should be plenty of space in the tender to accommodate it.

I believe the "working brakes" is only a feature of Zimo sound decoders.
Robert Smith

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:22 am

I'm having problems with this at the moment, but they are supposed to be able to have working brakes on non sound decoders now. I'll let you all know when I get down to the 'sorting it out' bit.
Pete.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:25 am

I know I turned the brake function on, on a mx622 that was used at one end of a Farish Midland Pullman so that it matched the sound decoder at the other end, that was about a year ago so anything produced since then should support it.

pauliebanger

Postby pauliebanger » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Peterm wrote:I'm having problems with this at the moment, but they are supposed to be able to have working brakes on non sound decoders now. I'll let you all know when I get down to the 'sorting it out' bit.

Peter,

I've emailed you regarding your specific issue.

For general information:

The MX600 decoder family is definitely capable of implementation of the Brake Key Feature. The determining factor is the software version any individual decoder has currently installed.

ZIMO non-sound decoder software from V37.0 onwards supports Brake Key Function*. It is not set by default, but can be enabled by assigning an operating key with CV309 = X where X is the number of the F key to be asssigned.

The 'Brake Force' or if you like 'Efficiency' of the brakes applied with F key X is set with CV349, lower values give greater 'bite'. In my sound projects I typically set CV309 = 2 and CV349 = 6 as default.

Of course, a non-sound decoder will have FO2 (Aux 2) already asssigned to F key 2. If there is no function on your model which uses FO2, that's no problem.

If FO2 is already used for a function output(smoke generator, cab lights etc) you will first need to remap FO2 to a different F key.

*you can read the software version installed on your decoder from CV7 (main version number) and CV65 (sub-version number). Current version is V37.8
If you have a version preceeding V37.0, you can update the decoder software using a ZIMO Decoder Update and Sound Load and Drive Module (MXULFA) and free software downloaded from www.zimo.at, or get someone to do this for you if you don't have access to an MXULFA.
With latest software loaded, your decoder will always be as feature rich as the newest decoder manufactured.

Best regards,

Paul

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Thanks Paul.
Pete.

Return to “DCC Forum”