Lima loco

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
kevin sharpe

Lima loco

Postby kevin sharpe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm

Not going to service Lima motors any more just going to change them for the CD type cheap enough on the bay and takes about the same amount of time, plus side you get a far better running loco,only have a end to end layout so good running is important to me

Flashbang

Re: Lima loco

Postby Flashbang » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Ok. So which motors are being referenced?
Size is vital as too is the drive shaft diameter so as the drive cog can fit onto the new motor. How is the new CD motor fixed?

Need far more detail and answers than the OP text states! :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 pm

Goggle is your friend for this job(a lot of videos to show you how) also supply of motors as well one firm even does a complete kit for you also found on the bay .I use a good quality super glue to fix mine .if you can strip a motor down to clean then a replacement is straight forward .I think the conversion is best done when motor starts to play up i run DCC so the improvement oon slow running is 100%

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 pm

I did some of those conversions a while back. I got my motors on ebay from china. This was before people got the idea of selling kits at upgrade prices.They were very cheap think my first 2 I bought to try were only about £3 free post for the pair. I found a vid on utube which showed how to do the job and followed that. I put the motor in the hornby tender Drive castings (Hornby or Lima same sort of casting) by just setting them in place with hot glue. This held the motors in place very firmly with no problems. It can be a bit fiddley getting the motor lined up with the drive cogs and I used small packing pieces befor setting it in with the hot glue to do that. The motors I got already had wires fitter so all you had to do was to link up with the tender connections which was plain sailing.
If you do what I did and google utube for model loco CD motor upgrade, there were one or two good vids to look at which will run you through the up grade. It is quite easy job for an average moddler. Best thing to do is have look at utube. ( no I did not keep the link sorry)
There was a problem with the sharft size. The Hornby one was 2mm (I think it was) and the motor was 1.5mm so I used some clock makers shim tubing (which is cheap as chips.) to fit the brass drive cog. The job can be bit fiddly so I dont think I will bother doing another unless I have to.
John
Never enough time is there.........John

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Don't forget. The old Lima insides are valueable spares so don't chuck them. :) Sell them on.

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Just thought I would add to my last post. I remember I did follow the advice of adding some diods to reduce the voltage as the motors I had were rated about 4 volts but I did get other motors later which were rated at 12v so there are other rated motors available if you look around. Very cheap from China. They seemed to last well even if you run 4volt rated motors at 12 volts. Mind you I never run my locos around at high speed so doubt they ever get 12volts. I am DC not Dcc as you all will gather. Too old to change :D :D
Never enough time is there.........John

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Got the motor changed now runs 100% better even slow running .so from what would have been a scarp model i have a serviceable loco :D

Return to “DCC Forum”