K1 decoder

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
crazypotter

K1 decoder

Postby crazypotter » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi all. Recently purchased a Hornby k1 loco second hand at a decent price. Loco is dcc ready and still deciding whether to go for standard chip or sound. Can anybody recommend a decent decoder ( standard or sound) for the loco and how difficult to fit?. The model is R3243a. Many thanks.

RFS

Re: K1 decoder

Postby RFS » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:14 pm

The DCC socket for this loco is in the tender so there should be no problem fitting a non-sound one. My recommendation would be the Zimo MX600R or the Lenz Standard+, both of which are excellent, quality decoders at a reasonable price of around £20.

Can't advise on sound but provision is made in the tender for this. There's an excellent review here which also includes pictures of the interior.

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/red-alert-redco-box-opened/
Robert Smith

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:32 am

Seconded. I have a couple of these, fitted with the Lenz Standard (because that was the lowest cost quality decoder when this model came out), and it is a 'snap'; release tender top, plug in decoder and replace tender top. (The suggested Zimo will do equally well, and how good it is to have a choice of well priced high grade decoders.)

The mechanism is a really sweet runner, and the model has enough traction to perform 8F rated jobs.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:43 am

In that review the picture of the tender innards clearly shows that you could easily fit a cube speaker in or to the weight.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:39 am

If I ever am able to afford another sound decoder, (for my K1) the socket would go and then the posts that it's fitted to. I'd hardwire an MX645 and probably cut the coal floor out to get a 23mm round speaker in, then fit a new floor with real coal. There's absolutely nothing like real coal.
Pete.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Peterm wrote:If I ever am able to afford another sound decoder, (for my K1) the socket would go and then the posts that it's fitted to. I'd hardwire an MX645 and probably cut the coal floor out to get a 23mm round speaker in, then fit a new floor with real coal. There's absolutely nothing like real coal.

All Hornby sound ready tenders have a mount moulded in for a 28mm round speaker under the weight so fitting a 23mm unit would be a simple adaption.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Tempted to go "sound" with a Zimo from youchoos, or maybe a Lenz standard. As like all things for the layout, depends on budget. Cheers guys.

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Bigmet wrote:Seconded. I have a couple of these, fitted with the Lenz Standard (because that was the lowest cost quality decoder when this model came out), and it is a 'snap'; release tender top, plug in decoder and replace tender top. (The suggested Zimo will do equally well, and how good it is to have a choice of well priced high grade decoders.)

The mechanism is a really sweet runner, and the model has enough traction to perform 8F rated jobs.

Thanks Bigmet. You wouldn't happen to know the product No of said Lenz decoders would you?. From what you say there is no faffing around with soldering. Cheers.

RFS

Postby RFS » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 pm

Suggest you have a look at the Coastal DCC website - https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/

Lenz Standard+ is 10231-02, and Zimo is MX600R. Coastal DCC will charge postage at cost whereas others seem to have a flat rate of £4 even for a small item. As they say, shop around!
Robert Smith

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 pm

RAF96 wrote:
Peterm wrote:If I ever am able to afford another sound decoder, (for my K1) the socket would go and then the posts that it's fitted to. I'd hardwire an MX645 and probably cut the coal floor out to get a 23mm round speaker in, then fit a new floor with real coal. There's absolutely nothing like real coal.

All Hornby sound ready tenders have a mount moulded in for a 28mm round speaker under the weight so fitting a 23mm unit would be a simple adaption.

Yes of course you're right. :oops:
Pete.

Return to “DCC Forum”