DCC Problems

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
vangogh

DCC Problems

Postby vangogh » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi
It is probably my very limited knowledge on DCC which has cause the problem, I thought I knew what I was doing. I have NCE controllers and I fathomed out how to change loco's addresses, which worked well for a short time. Now both loco's run very, very, slowly and don't respond to the controllers. The addresses seem to have got muddled some how. I run one loco and the other starts as well very slowly. It now doesn't seem to differentiate between the loco's I must have done something wrong.Is there a way of going back to square one when I was running one loco Ok. Any ideas what I might have done?

Flashbang

Re: DCC Problems

Postby Flashbang » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:51 pm

You can reset a loco decoder usually by CV8 entering a value of 8 this returns the decoder back to its as manufactured setting including address number to 3. However, while most decoders are reset via CV8/8 it is well worth double checking the specific decoders manual as some use a differing reset CV number.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 am

Interesting you say controllers (plural).
With DCC you should only ever have one master controller connected to the layout, unless the additional controllers are Walkabout handsets, which are connected to the track and pass commands via the master controller.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

vangogh

Postby vangogh » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:09 pm

I do have two controllers. But I am only using one of them. I really don't understand much of this. I have ordered a new decoder for one of the loco's to see if this cures the problem. Starting back to where I was 6 weeks ago.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Flashbang wrote:You can reset a loco decoder usually by CV8 entering a value of 8 this returns the decoder back to its as manufactured setting including address number to 3. However, while most decoders are reset via CV8/8 it is well worth double checking the specific decoders manual as some use a differing reset CV number.

This would be my fist troubleshooting step as well, sometimes it takes a few attempts to get the decoder to play ball if it does not work try it a few more times! You will know when it has worked as the address will default back to the starting address of 3.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Something which might be worth trying if changes don't seem to "take" would be the same as sometimes works when you are trying to update a computer's BIOS, having done it and seen no change, disconnect leave it 24hours, then come back and look again. I have not a clue why it works but it's worked for me three or four times over the years, since I discovered it by accident.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:31 am

Bufferstop wrote:Something which might be worth trying if changes don't seem to "take" would be the same as sometimes works when you are trying to update a computer's BIOS, having done it and seen no change, disconnect leave it 24hours, then come back and look again. I have not a clue why it works but it's worked for me three or four times over the years, since I discovered it by accident.

Funny you should say that about computers. Sometimes when starting after an update, my imac can't find a bluetooth keyboard meaning I can't log in because I haven't even got a bluetooth keyboard. I use a genuine apple usb keyboard. I've tried to turn off bluetooth keyboard in settings, but it's not there grrr. After spending ages restarting and fiddling one evening, I turned it off and left it before doing something stupid. Lo and behold, it was perfect the next morning. So now I've learnt a lesson.
Pete.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 am

Resetting computers and similar electronic items (printers, phones and so on), a quicker way is to disconnect all power, then hold the on/off switch in the on position for around 10 or more seconds. If it is a laptop or mobile phone, disconnect the battery if it is accessible, otherwise the battery has to be fully discharged (some laptops have a small hole underneath where a pin may be inserted to allow the reset).

All we are doing is discharging any stored power, capacitance, etc. so that the item is in it's lowest possible resting state.

In the case of locomotive decoders, sitting off the power is a good idea, but the amount of time needed can't be accelerated in the same way as the above-mentioned devices.

Also, as may have been mentioned earlier, some decoders may need more than one attempt to reset them. Sound decoders are particularly awkward at times and need a little more power to the programming track (something the NCE Power Cab is especially good for).

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 am

Also worth resetting the controller as well. I have seen this fix a ‘won’t program’ problem.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

vangogh

Postby vangogh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi
I am very pleased to relate that my trains are now running Ok. I purchased a new Lenz decoder, the original one in this train was of an unknown source and seems to have failed. I first of all reset the NCE controller, no joy, then I replaced the decoder and off we went. I still have a lot to learn about this system, so thanks to every one who replied to my call for help. I will probably need you again soon.

Return to “DCC Forum”