DCC info

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
vangogh

DCC info

Postby vangogh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi
I have a NCE PROCAB handset. Also 3 loco's. If I fathom out how to change the address on 2 of my loco's.(all at factory default 3 at the moment.) Will I then be able to switch between them and operate them independently? Sorry this may seem a stupid question.

End2end

Re: DCC info

Postby End2end » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Yes.
Perhaps change them all from 3 so any new loco (set as 3) will not control any other loco when programming or changing the new loco's number
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

vangogh

Postby vangogh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks. Good idea

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:26 am

The Power Cab and Power Pro systems, by default, have two recall slots set up, so you can keep any two loco numbers in the memory and toggle between them. If you read through the manual a bit, you will find that you can change the number of 'slots' in the recall memory from anywhere between one and six. My combination of Power Cabs and Pro Cabs on a Power Pro system are all set to six slots (the number set applies to each separate controller, so with four controllers, I can have up to 24 different train addresses in play, spread over those four cabs).

Changing the addresses of the locos is quite easy to do, and the Pro Cab (or a Power Cab) can lead you through the process.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 am

vangogh wrote:I have a NCE PROCAB handset. Also 3 loco's. If I fathom out how to change the address on 2 of my loco's.(all at factory default 3 at the moment.) Will I then be able to switch between them and operate them independently? Sorry this may seem a stupid question.

Have you made progress on changing addresses yet? That's really critical for obtaining the advantages of DCC control. Typically the advice is 'read the manual and follow the instructions carefully' to get the desired result, but if you are stuck you might post here where you are at, for another NCE user to advise. (No use asking me, effectively no experience of this system.)

On the matter of the addresses themselves, as already suggested change all the locos from address 3. What addresses to use?
Many of us would suggest using the cabside number. (If it happens to be five digit, just ignore the first digit.) That makes life very easy if you happen to build up a fair number of locos. No remembering required: see number on cabside, select or enter that number to call up that loco.

Hopefully you will quickly get to DCC's key advantage over DC, truly independent operation of all the locos. The head-on collision which took real trouble to arrange in my childhood is now easily achieved. (Other more responsible and realistic loco and train movements are available.) I still very much enjoy being able to park locos 'on shed' nose to tail without isolating sections being required, and dispatching 'trots' of several coupled up locos between loco shed and terminal station; a once common practise to save having to signal multiple individual movements for each loco, with the consequence of much more occupation time of the track.

vangogh

Postby vangogh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 am

Hi
Thanks for all your replies. SUCCESS!! All loco's re-addressed. Once I had read the manual a couple of dozen times it was quite simple really. As my lay out has 20 odd sets of points I am now looking forward to my first head on crash. No, joking aside, I can now see the benefits of DCC. As I purchased the lay-out as a track only unfinished project the learning curve is fairly steep.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:33 am

Excellent. You are a good example for those who are shackled to DC for the declared reason that DCC is 'too complicated'. Of course what you will now learn is that DCC is long obsolescent and is only waiting to be pushed off the twig by wifi or mobile phone protocols. Well, one day, maybe... But having got going on DCC it's a good ground from which to move on: whatever comes next will still be digital signals for the commands to make the kit do what you want.

Something to do with the manual: read it all, and try out all the functionality you can test. It's useful to have this experience for when you have a problem, as it will probably enable you to quickly find what you then need from the manual. (Or your memory may be so good, that you simply remember how...)

Return to “DCC Forum”