Droppers

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
crazypotter

Droppers

Postby crazypotter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:31 am

Hi all. Finally got round to laying my track for my oo gauge "roundy roundy" layout which consists of the bog standard 3 loops and a few points leading to sidings for an engine shed etc. On the question of droppers I think I'll install a couple of pairs per loop which seems plenty for a small layout. However, when it comes to points and sidings is it necessary to put droppers on the points and each siding. Are there any particular advantages to this?. The less soldering the better!!. Cheers.

End2end

Re: Droppers

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:36 am

Not sure about the actual points but I would add droppers to the end of each siding so they are live.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Adding droppers per siding will ensure DCC operated lights, sounds etc will be able to be used even when the point is not set towards that siding. Also with power to all tracks you are able to move locos in sidings too, again when the entrance point is not set for that siding. :D
You dont have to add droppers to the outer stock rails of points, but doing so will always help improve power and data transfer around the layout.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 pm

crazypotter wrote:... is it necessary to put droppers on the points and each siding. Are there any particular advantages to this?...

In addition to the comments already made in support. What you won't see is the occasional failure to start, or slight hesitations while running very slowly (which is 'siding speed') when the siding supply is dependent on a point blade contact, or multiple railjoiners, from the point to the loco location. Yes, it is a little more soldering, but in the typical lifepan of a layout it's not much time to get done, and then it is done.

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Thank you all for you're comments. Makes perfect sense to me.

gppsoftware

Postby gppsoftware » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 am

I have written some articles providing hints and tips on droppers here:

Power feeding with droppers: http://www.mrol.com.au/Pages/Vu/PowerFeedingwithDroppers

Avoiding solder globules: http://www.mrol.com.au/Pages/Vu/AvoidingSolderGlobulesonRails

HTH

Return to “DCC Forum”