Best way to wire up test track?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
FCarl

Best way to wire up test track?

Postby FCarl » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 am

Hi All,

This may be a silly question however, I’m looking for an easy method to wire up test track to check locos work and to make it separate from my main layout.

I see people use crocodile clips and place them on the track to provide power. Is there anywhere I can buy these clips with wire included so I can just wire it straight into my nce powercab or do I have to modify crocodile clips to fit wire? If so, any useful tutorials?

Thanks

Roger (RJ)

Re: Best way to wire up test track?

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Small croc clips normally have a screw terminal that you can just wrap the wire round.

Example Link

FCarl

Postby FCarl » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Roger (RJ) wrote:Small croc clips normally have a screw terminal that you can just wrap the wire round.

Example Link

Thanks for the reply, would you just use the usual bus wire or dropped wire?

Thanks

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Thin wire is all you need, so whatever you use for droppers would probably do. There is no real definition of what constitutes dropper wire.

FCarl

Postby FCarl » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Roger (RJ) wrote:Thin wire is all you need, so whatever you use for droppers would probably do. There is no real definition of what constitutes dropper wire.

Thank you, just go for the 5 amp version?

abenn

Postby abenn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:47 pm

How long do you want your test track to be? I use a loose piece of track about 18" long, with wires permanently soldered to it, with the appropriate plug for plugging into my Lenz controller's programming socket. Anything more than programming, and a short forward/backward test, I do on my layout.

FCarl

Postby FCarl » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:57 pm

abenn wrote:How long do you want your test track to be? I use a loose piece of track about 18" long, with wires permanently soldered to it, with the appropriate plug for plugging into my Lenz controller's programming socket. Anything more than programming, and a short forward/backward test, I do on my layout.

Not large at all, only enough for locos to be placed on it to programme etc. Just thought crocodile clips would be an easy option as I will be moving the track around.

What would you recommend?
Thanks

abenn

Postby abenn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Lenz is the only system I know, and it has a socket on the back of the control unit for programming purposes. So, a piece of track with two wires soldered to it, and a plug on the end to go into the programming socket, is the simplest way for me. It goes in a drawer when I'm not using it. With different controllers it may work differently, but I have no experience of others.

Return to “DCC Forum”