66 TTS speaker upgrade

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
forest446

66 TTS speaker upgrade

Postby forest446 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi all
I have recently converted the atlas editions Eddie the engine to a running model using the new hornby 66 chassis.
I am now wanting to add TTS sound.
But find the round speakers are a bit pants an tinny sounding.
What has everyone else used.
I have seen a megabase video on YouTube but no naming of the speaker used.
Thanks
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

Paul-H

Re: 66 TTS speaker upgrade

Postby Paul-H » Sat May 18, 2019 10:15 am

Don't have any actual recomendatios but pick the largest that will actually fit and make sure it has a sealed sound box, unlike the TTS supplied speaker and most important of all, make sure it's an 8ohm speaker, anything less will kill the amplifier in the decoder.

Roads and rails to quite a few that might do the job, also worth a look are the flame range from Youchoos.

As for megabase just do a quick search on eBay that will give a few options as will searching EM2 wish is one of the best sounding speakers but quite a big beast, although the new Hornby 66 chassis has quite a lot of empty space so you might find one will fit.

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat May 18, 2019 11:13 am

The speakers supplied with TTS kits are likely to be suited to going in an enclosure formed from the body or chassis mouldings, so may sound tinny when mounted in free space. It's a principle of mounting any sort of speaker that you stop the air pressure from the back of the cone leaking round to the front. Reflex enclosures delay the pressure wave by approximately one wavelength so that the air which eventually gets round to the front is in step with the next wave coming off the speaker cone.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

forest446

Postby forest446 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks both
I know they say fit it in the fuel Tank mould but that then muffles it An having already fitted the lights I don’t fancy taking everything out again the loco dose have a fair amount of space in
So will have a look at the speakers above
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

The one that is fitted to the 66 decoder is not a round one mine was not and is not too bad fitted in the body may want sealing in the case it comes in i always give them a try before thinking about a change.I always wind up or sound person at the model railway club by telling him you need a 15 inch speaker in a good wooden case like i use to use on my disco in the 80 :lol:

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 am

I'll go along with the EM2 Earth mover if you can find the space... even milling or grinding/cutting the chassis (like I did on a couple of my loco's) to make it fit.
Wish I had a milling machine.
Pete.

Return to “DCC Forum”