Digital point clips

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
SOOTYBRUM

Digital point clips

Postby SOOTYBRUM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:27 am

Hi, on my DCC layout I am finding that the Hornby digital point clips are becoming loose and coming away from the track. Am I missing something as I am fitting them as I think they should go.
Is there an alternative to these?
I have 4 sets of points and I am controlling them manually by using the Peco Turnout switch module which works fine.
This is my first ever layout at the rip old age of 67!
Thanks in advance

Bigmet

Re: Digital point clips

Postby Bigmet » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:47 am

Brace yourself. These are a crude method of adapting a track system design of much the same age as yourself to cope with the DCC system. If you can perform electrical soldering, small pieces of insulated wire can be used instead.

There are much better alternatives in OO track, notably by Peco. But this does require a willingness to learn how to lay flexible track. Superior quality HO (same gauge) set track systems are available but not widely promoted in the UK. Kato probably has as much presence as any.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Those bits of thin springy bent wire are designed purely to pass limited current across a point, rather than rely upon the point blades to do this. This may be fine for the odd siding but do not rely upon them to transfer significant power across to a substantive sidings area or to run additional loops, etc. That is best done as stated earlier by soldered link wires or preferably droppers to a proper bus wire system.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 pm

Don’t forget that Peco make there own compatible version of set track, its points are of similar standard to the streamline range.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

triuph1050

Postby triuph1050 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Bachmann make a direct comparison point for Hornbys set track point fitted for DCC

Return to “DCC Forum”