dcc Run aways

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
dodojoe15

dcc Run aways

Postby dodojoe15 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:28 pm

ok so after my last post i have bought a new controller an ESU ECoS and done a few more checks but still seem to have problems. 3 of my locos which are a Bachmann 1f a 14xx and a p class all have hattons 6 pin direct fit decoders in them and have a strange runaway where they sit on the track and run away at full speed in short bursts with and any command being sent to them. I reset the decoders and turned back EMF off and they now only have the issues when running I.e in speed steep 5 they do a short section of slow running and a burst of full speed. then theres my J15 which runs lovely forward but backwards does nothing until it lurches away at full speed. I'm stumped and cant seem to find anything on the internet. any help ?
Joe
Trying to model oo gauge in a shed

Bigmet

Re: dcc Run aways

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Do you have any loco and decoder combinations that run consistently well for comparison? If so what are they ?

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

You could try turning off dc running in CV29 and make sure the track, wheels and pickups are spotlessly clean. You could also consider fitting filters (sometimes called terminators) to the track to eliminate voltage spikes.

dodojoe15

Postby dodojoe15 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 pm

I have two Bachmann 20s than run fine with Bachman decoders a heljan 33 with a Bachmann decoder that runs fine and a Dapol 122 with a hattons decoder that runs fine. I have check the track and it’s clean have also used the Locos on a rolling road which creates the same issue. What setting should CV29 be set to so that dc running is off ?
Joe

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:21 pm

dodojoe15 wrote:I have two Bachmann 20s than run fine with Bachman decoders a heljan 33 with a Bachmann decoder that runs fine and a Dapol 122 with a hattons decoder that runs fine. I have check the track and it’s clean have also used the Locos on a rolling road which creates the same issue. What setting should CV29 be set to so that dc running is off ?

Depends on what value there is currently set in CV29. But you need to deduct 4 from whatever is read. e.g. Read 6 make CV29 value 2. Read 38 make CV 29 value 34. etc
This CV29 calculator is well worth bookmarking.. http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

dodojoe15

Postby dodojoe15 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:40 pm

Magic ! That’s work for the 6 pin decoders thanks very much. However still having the problem with the j15 runs fine forwards terible backwards. It runs fine on dc. Any ideas on that one ?
Joe

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:46 pm

When all else fails, change the decoder, try a known good make decoder, something from Zimo or Lenz, lesser decoders are often fine but sometimes only a known good one will do the trick, I have had the odd issue with decoders from the likes of Gaugemaster, Dapol, LaiseDCC but never a problem with Zimo or Lenz.

Paul

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:11 am

I argee with Paul. I gradually changed over to Zimo, sound and non sound for all my loco's except for one ESU when I couldn't get decent sound for a Zimo. DC running is turned off on Richard Johnsons's advice, all cap's removed, track, wheels and pick up's are kept clean, and I've never had problems since doing this.
Pete.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 am

I have a Lenz decoder which I use as my standard to check any awry loco.
If it plays up with that installed then it gets shelved.
Some locos just run better with certain decoders fitted, whilst others will cope well with any old decoder, why is one of lifes mysteries.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

dodojoe15

Postby dodojoe15 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. Where is the best place to buy zimo decoders ? Cheers
Joe

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi

I get all mine from Youchoos both sound and motor only, but there are others.

I always get excellent service from John.

Paul

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:36 pm

The problem you are seeing is due to poor pickups or dirty track or wheels generally. The cheap decoders show it up while the better decoders like Zimo and modern Lenz will mask it, but for best results you do need to resolve the underlying problem by making sure that the track, wheels and pickups are all spotless and making good contact.

Return to “DCC Forum”