Hornby 6 pin decoder problems

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
dodojoe15

Hornby 6 pin decoder problems

Postby dodojoe15 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Help ! After spending two weeks of my holiday building a new layout fully wired for dcc I finally got to a stage where I could test today, using an older Bachmann dynamis the older locos I have chipped which I think are Bachmann decoders and a Lenz decoder work fine but the two new Hornby decoders I bought this weekend run very erratic and poorly with little to control over the locos as they race off on there own with out any input. Anyone had a similar problems ?
Joe
Trying to model oo gauge in a shed

Flashbang

Re: Hornby 6 pin decoder problems

Postby Flashbang » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:51 am

Hi
Are they Hornby? AFAIK Hornby only sell 4, 8 & 21 pin fitting decoders.

Uncontrolled DCC runaways are normally solved by...
A) Turning off DC operation via CV29 by setting its value to 4 less than read i.e. read CV29 as 6 so set it to 2 or 38 set to 34, if you can't read CVs values then just set it to 2 or to 34 if long addresses are used. This CV29 calculator is well worth bookmarking for future reference... http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm
B) Ensure all rail tops plus all loco wheel treads and any rear of wheel wipers and the rear of wheel where they rub are kept spotlessly clean.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

SRman

Postby SRman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 am

Hornby announced the 6-pin decoders for 2019 to go with the upcoming Ruston 0-4-0 diesel and Peckett 0-6-ST locomotives. If/when I purchase both of those locos, I will be fitting other brands of 6-pin decoders, but at least Hornby have stopped using their annoying proprietary 4-pin interface for new releases.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:01 pm

If there is a coloured spot on the main chip of the decoder the colour, size and position will tell us the decoder revision state.
Spot may be large and central or small and offset in a corner. The revision state will tell us about any latent faults that would have been fixed by a later revsion.

Likely to be R8249 but could be the old and totally unreliable R8215 decoder.

Edit - 6 pin was also produced as a 7 pin specifically for Pendolino.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Roger (RJ) wrote:https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/standard-6-pin-decoder.html

First time I have ever seen a 6pin decoder on a lead so presumably like the 4 pin its simply their 8 pin decoder attached to a 6 pin plug, and how clunky it is in comparison to other 6 pin decoders.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Me too. 6 pin on a set of leads. That's new!
Doesn't seem like anything special?

I love the Hornby web sites description of this new decoder.... Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories. Really! That's extremely useful to know Hornby, but what are the decoder specs??? Details of the maximum motor current, Function output current and decoder size would possibly be better than telling us that Hornby is a household name!!! :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:54 pm

The more I think about it the more illogical it is, the whole point of a 6 pin socket is for use in locos with limited space yet this needs a vast amount of space for the cable and size of decoder they have used in comparison to a normal 6 pin decoder. Presumably then the Hornby models with a 6 pin socket will have a vast amount of space in them that ought to be weight.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Regardless of the price I'll keep
to Lenz silver mini - Just over £30
for quality and sensible replies from
them if you encounter any problems.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 pm

Never had a problem with the ESU ones sold under the Bachmann label - the only thing is they are large (although tiny compared to this joke offering from Hornby) and hence also have some Zimo ones which are highly recommended by most users for locos which simply cannot take the ESU one.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:47 am

The newest Bachmann 6-pin decoders are from Zimo, I believe, and are very good.

CT Elektronic offer a few variations on the 6-pin theme, including both direct plug in and wired (like the Hornby but much, much, much smaller!).

Lenz Silver are very good but a little on the dear side. Zimo are also very good and slightly less expensive (but the cheapest way to get one is to buy the latest Bachmann one).

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:43 pm

I understand Hornby have located the 6 pin socket in their Terrier such that it needs the use of cabled 6 pin decoder :evil: Turns out their are a number of them, the £20 Zimo MX617F apparently fits the Terrier, which according to Coastal DCC is 13x9x2.6.

dodojoe15

Postby dodojoe15 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes the size and space issues are a major problem the harness is just two long for the smaller locos that take a 6 pin decoder. However I have since bought some hattons 6 pin decoder decoders and am still having the same issues the Loco moves forward about a wheel turn or two forward then stops this it happening with my Beattie well tank and my Hornby Adams. Any ideas really stuck as my other locos which had decoders in work fine but I’m now worried about chipping anything else.
Joe
Trying to model oo gauge in a shed

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:57 pm

dodojoe15 wrote: I have since bought some hattons 6 pin decoder decoders and am still having the same issues the Loco moves forward about a wheel turn or two forward then stops this it happening with my Beattie well tank and my Hornby Adams. Any ideas really stuck as my other locos which had decoders in work fine but I’m now worried about chipping anything else.

Take the decoders out, refit the blanking plugs and test them on dc to rule out any mechanical issues.

Return to “DCC Forum”