DCC sound issue

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
stmartins

DCC sound issue

Postby stmartins » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:51 pm

I have quite a few locos with sound which run superbly however I have noticed something I have not experienced before.
Whilst running any of my locos (All DCC) if for whatever reason a loco derails on a point I have a couple of sound locos that click as if they are shorting and nothing works. It does not happen every time only at random Its just 2 of them so I need to listen to which one it is and remove it and all is fine. Put it back on the track and no problem.
I have been working with DCC sound for around 10 years now and am pretty conversant with it but I was wondering if any one else has experienced this issue.

Mountain

Re: DCC sound issue

Postby Mountain » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:54 pm

I no longer have a sound loco, but I have heard something about that on one of the forums somewhere. I don't recall specifics as it is more of a memory about something being mentioned then anything specific.

Bigmet

Re: DCC sound issue

Postby Bigmet » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:36 am

This is usually a symptom of momentary loss of track power due to a very brief short circuit caused by the derailment, which wasn't enough to trip the DCC system. The resulting 'transient' in the power to the decoder's sound circuit 'plays' through the speaker like any other waveform. Something like 'click' or 'pop' is the usual description. You may need to adjust a CV setting so that the decoder resumes playing sound where it left off instead of shutting down the sound, if such a CV is available. (A similar problem that bedevils regular hi-fi replay for those living in locations where the mains power isn't 'clean', voltage fluctuations and switching artefacts are audible.)

If you cannot prevent the derailments - and really that's the proper railway reliability thing to do - then a big 'stay alive' is the Elastoplast to mask the effect.

Return to “DCC Forum”