Hornby railmaster with accessories

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
actonnorth

Hornby railmaster with accessories

Post by actonnorth »

Hi all.

After a bit of advice if possible.

I’m using the Hornby e-link and railmaster to control my layout (I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but hey ho).

I had a Hornby accessories decoder from back when I had my OO layout that I never got round to installing/using.

So, decided to try and install it on this layout for 3 sets of point motors (peco side mounted). Followed all the steps in the manual and comes back correctly as per manual. However, manual is badly written as it doesn’t seem to explain what happens next.

The issue I have is that even though I seem to have gotten it calibrated as the manual says, when I finish that setup, there is then no option to control said device. It’s like said device has not been installed at all, there is literally nothing to signify that the device is present. I have the symbols on the software to signify I will have points there, but, that was added at the ‘design layout’ stage.

I’ve tried to look at forums to troubleshoot, but frankly and in the nicest possible way, they talk a lot of gobbledygook that I don’t understand, and even talk about writing CV’s etc (railmaster doesn’t give me the option to do this).

Am I missing something? Is it worth troubleshooting or should I go for a different device? Honestly don’t know which way to go next.

Many thanks in advance.
RAF96

Re: Hornby railmaster with accessories

Post by RAF96 »

Step 1 - go and look on the Hornby Railmaster forum where you will find all the answers to every RM question many times over.

...or...

Although you have configured the accessory decoder to an address range (say 1-4) and you have points on your track plan you also need buttons to operate the points. Drag these from the menu onto the centre of the point in design mode and the red and green buttons will snap into place. Do not try to drag them one button at a time, they come as a pair.

Right click and tell the dialogue the controller (A/B) and the port address you set up earlier.

Repeat for each point and address.

Save all that then close and restart RM.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
actonnorth

Post by actonnorth »

Many thanks.

As said, I did look on various forums beforehand asking the question, however I didn’t really understand a lot of what they were talking about to be honest (as said, I’m not as clued up as some).

As for step 2,will give that a try. I have put the icons in the right places but maybe not done it correctly.

Cheers.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

The RM manual is not the best either to understand or to guess the missing bits.
Chrissaf on the Hornby RM forum has written several step-by-step guides and I know there is one for getting point buttons placed and configured correctly.
If I can find a specfic one I will post a direct link here later.

edit - try this one for starters https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/some ... rking/?p=1
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester