DCC Autofrog

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Southern Region

DCC Autofrog

Postby Southern Region » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi all. I would like to install a Peco double slip with live frogs and have just discovered Gaugemasters DCC80 autofrog. Would the two be compatible with each other, the instructions suggest that you just connect it to the track with two solder joints and the third connection is simply attached to the frog, so I assume you just need two of these devices to get the double slip up and running. Any comments please.

Peterm

Re: DCC Autofrog

Postby Peterm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:44 pm

The 'auto frogs' rely on a short circuit detection to quickly switch the polarity of the frog. In my opinion, a better way is to use Tortoise motors and wire so there is no short. You only have to remember that you wire each motor to the frog at the opposite end of the slip.
Pete.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Answering the original question: yes, you would require two autofrog switchers, one for each frog. While Peterm is correct about the momentary shorting, it is so quick it does not upset the DCC system itself.

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:21 am

Many thanks for your feedback, the autofrogs are inexpensive so I will try and give them a bash.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:19 am

Hi

I use them on all the points on my layout which is DCC controlled and the only effect they have is the slight audiable click from the relay, they do not even effect sound locos. The electronic switching ones are said to be better but i have personally had no issues.

Paul

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 am

I am using the Gaugemaster ones, which have worked well for me, apart from initial problems with two - one I hadn't connected one of the feed wires properly from the DCC bus, the other actually turned out to be a faulty unit, and would only switch one polarity (i.e. one side of the point).

I bought the triple packs, which saves even more money. Don't buy direct from Gaugemaster, it is often cheaper to buy from other retailers, like Hatton's (where I got mine).

Return to “DCC Forum”