Gaugemaster Prodigy

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Southern Region

Gaugemaster Prodigy

Postby Southern Region » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi all. Got a problem with a couple of hand held throttles. The rotary throttle knob on both controllers have become very unresponsive to date resulting in me having to use the up and down buttons instead. Bit odd that both are suffering the same problem, is this a common fault with Gaugemaster I wonder.

Bufferstop

Re: Gaugemaster Prodigy

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Are the rotary throttles continuous rotation switches, (no end stops) if so they may benefit from switch cleaner. Best thing would be to ask Gaugemaster the same question.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi

A quick spray with Deoxit sorts most dirty switch issues, used it on my Gaugemaster walk arounds without any negative issues.

Paul

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:06 am

Invoke the GM lifetime warranty. I have heard its no quibble.
rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:25 am

RAFHAAA96 wrote:Invoke the GM lifetime warranty. I have heard its no quibble.
rob

I don't think that the DCC equipment is covered by their normal lifetime warranty, but defiantly contact them to see what they say

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am

I have had exactly the same issue with three throttles within the last two years. After the first Prodigy I upgraded to the larger system to get an illuminated throttle, ( illumination is rubbish, by the way), but that base unit had many faults from new and the throttle also did the same thing, sent it back for replacement, more faults with base unit, same issues with throttle. As I had had 3 that all went bad, sent it back and changed to a different system altogether.
Suspect their manufacturer has changed to a lower spec encoder to save costs, or maybe there was a bad batch, as I believe that older units are reliable.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi
The Prodigy range - Prodigy Express and Prodigy Advance in all forms use a continuous turn speed knob, as too do most hand held throttles from other makers, e.g. NCE PowerCab is another where the speed knob turns continuously. The device is called a Rotary encoder.

While the Gaugemaster DCC items do not carry their lifetime warranty, I have yet to hear of a repair to one of their DCC items that is a genuine defect and has had no user interference, causing the owner to have to pay a penny! (Other than the cost of sending the item to GM initially).

I have always found Gaugemaster one of the best UK companies to deal with when seeking repairs. They are genuine to the last. If the item cant be repaired regardless of its age even if purchased elsewhere they will normally provide a free of charge replacement!

DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT. Call GM and arrange a return of both units. Repairs are often carried out inside a week!
BTW. I have no connection with GM other than being a very satisfied customer.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Just an update on my prodigy units. Gaugemaster was happy to repair these at a price which meant I either had to post them or take them down in person. However I decided to open up the units and then unscrewed the motherboard, I then decided to drop 2 or 3 drops of meths down each side of the rotary throttle control base. I gave them a few minutes for the meths to evaporate but I was also giving them some rotary movement whilst in the process and low and behold they both returned to normal function. This worked for the MRC wireless version as well so I have saved myself quite a few pennies in the process. This I understand is quite a common fault with the rotary control but don't be afraid to have a go yourself if your warranty has run out on the controller, you might also save yourself time and money. Alan.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:39 am

Southern Region wrote:Just an update on my prodigy units. Gaugemaster was happy to repair these at a price which meant I either had to post them or take them down in person. However I decided to open up the units and then unscrewed the motherboard, I then decided to drop 2 or 3 drops of meths down each side of the rotary throttle control base. I gave them a few minutes for the meths to evaporate but I was also giving them some rotary movement whilst in the process and low and behold they both returned to normal function. This worked for the MRC wireless version as well so I have saved myself quite a few pennies in the process. This I understand is quite a common fault with the rotary control but don't be afraid to have a go yourself if your warranty has run out on the controller, you might also save yourself time and money. Alan.

Hi ,,thanks for letting us know,I've got the MRC prodigy advance 2 and have that problem although only slight but the on/off switch on the base unit is temperamental,I have to leave it switched in the on position in case it doesn't fire back up so it is only turned off at the mains ,maybe I might pluck up the courage to have a look ,,,,mjb

Return to “DCC Forum”