Which model railway s/w to use.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
bvancetalktalknet

Which model railway s/w to use.

Post by bvancetalktalknet »

Hi,
I am running a modest (7ft by 3 ft, four locos, 00 gauge) layout, using NCE PowerCab DCC control. My question is what computer software to use for control with this sort of set up and it worth the effort?
Suzie

Re: Which model railway s/w to use.

Post by Suzie »

What do you want the software to do?

Suzie x
bvancetalktalknet

Nothing too complicated. Having the ability to switch between locos more readily than with PowerCab, having more than one visible at the same time? Hopefully easier control of functions and points which is somewhat cumbersome at present.
Are touch screens better than mouse?
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Try free to download and use JMRI. Takes a bit of getting used to, but will via Pro Panel gives a PC based operating panel for point and signalling control. CVs of individual locos stored and set via Decoder Pro. Or just use it as a basic loco throttle! There is much more for the PC user.
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bramshot

Post by Bramshot »

Then there’s Rocrail, also free to download and use, though a minimum annual donation is required if you want to use pads and phones with it via browser. I use it for exactly what you describe, individual throttles, mimic diagram, points control. I use Mac, so not a lot of choice for that, though much more for PC. It can do almost anything including full automatic control, but being so comprehensive it is quite complex to set up. So not so suitable for the not so technically savvy. Also gets updated too often for my liking (daily!) though you don’t have to update at every revision - I generally leave it for at least 6 months or so. Upside is that if you have probs or requests, they generally get sorted or implemented quickly. And there is an active user forum too.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I've used JMRI hooked up to an old laptop before, works quite well as far as I've used it, just for loco throttles. Like you I wanted to be able to switch between different locos easier, the only limit to how many loco throttles you can have up at once is the size of your screen! You can also get JMRI to work with wireless throttles on your phone with certain apps but I never explored this option much as my wifi signal to the shed was fine for my laptop but a bit dodgy with my phone so not terribly reliable.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

I use JMRI too. Highly recommended.
Regards
Rob
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

I think that JMRI will be best for those requirements. It is free to download so you can at least try it and see if you like it anyway. If you don't like it don't expect that paying a lot of money will get you anything better!

The PanelPro feature will allow you to make a mimic diagram in Layout Editor with all your points and signals on the layout. You can then use Panel Editor to produce a control panel that looks like the interior of your favourite signal box. The throttle feature will allow you to drive trains from the screen.

Using a touch screen will be excellent - but if you have a large layout you might want to think about getting a 4K one so it all fits on one screen.

Suzie x
bvancetalktalknet

Many thanks to all of you who replied with suggestions. It looks like JMRI has 'the peoples' vote' to coin a phrase very much in vogue at present.
I shall give it a go.