Hornby Class 20 TTS Loco in Consist

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Forfarian

Re: Hornby Class 20 TTS Loco in Consist

Post by Forfarian »

I have 2 Bachmann Class 20s, I tried running them in consist with two different decoders- 1 ESU & 1 DC Concepts, using a Power cab, I could not get them to run at the same speed no matter what I tried to do with speed/voltage etc, recently I purchased two TTS decoders for the 20s and fitted a 7mm thick sugar cube speaker into the top of each cab and ran the wires through the back plate to the decoder. The speaker is not visible in the cab and the wires blend into the background.
I then programmed both decoders to the same number 2002, then removed one loco and set the direction to forward on this one and then set the other to reverse, put them both on the main track and they ran perfectly in consist. :D
Tim
aka Forfarian
brammie

Post by brammie »

Nice to hear a story with a happy ending Forfarian. This morning I ordered a new Hornby Class 20 TTS - intended as companion to my present one - so I look forward to operating my pair in consist. The two Lima Class 20s will have to be "shedded" until I can get another pair of early livery bodies. Oh, well.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

If you want to operate a pair of 20s always locked in a consist then consider having one as a dummy car (demotored) which will still take a (TTS) sound decoder and can be operated as an individual or a pair depending upon if addressed same or unlike.
Hornbys Class 43 HSTs work well so rigged.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
brammie

Post by brammie »

Yes,thanks for that Rob but I need the two locos to push a track cleaner round my layout - one alone is not enough grunt.
brammie

Post by brammie »

I feel inclined to ask whether anyone reading this thread has successfully operated two Hornby Class 20 TTS locos in consist. It would be reassuring to know that what I have in mind has some hope of operating.
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

You would be better using a Class 40 or 66 to push your track cleaner.
Tim
aka Forfarian
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thanks Tim, but I would like to keep my layout "authentic" to the area as much as I can. Perhaps when I eventually get a pair of Class 20 locos to run in consist, I may have to resort to something with more beef to run the track cleaner - a CMX by the way.
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

brammie wrote:Thanks Tim, but I would like to keep my layout "authentic" to the area as much as I can. Perhaps when I eventually get a pair of Class 20 locos to run in consist, I may have to resort to something with more beef to run the track cleaner - a CMX by the way.
I have a CMX track cleaner and I find it needs the grunt of the 40 to pull it round, I never had much joy pushing the CMX due to the small wheels derailing at points
Tim
aka Forfarian
brammie

Post by brammie »

Forfarian wrote:
brammie wrote:Thanks Tim, but I would like to keep my layout "authentic" to the area as much as I can. Perhaps when I eventually get a pair of Class 20 locos to run in consist, I may have to resort to something with more beef to run the track cleaner - a CMX by the way.
I have a CMX track cleaner and I find it needs the grunt of the 40 to pull it round, I never had much joy pushing the CMX due to the small wheels derailing at points
I have the same problem Tim. I am wondering about changing the wheels for a larger set - and doubling the thickness of the pad.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Pleased to report that second Hornby Class 20 TTS en route, in the post!
brammie

Post by brammie »

New Hornby Class 20 arrived in the post this morning. Changed the address to my preference, but IT ONLY RUNS WHEN FACING ONE DIRECTION! I've looked through a number of threads on this apparently known problem, but have not found a solution. Can anyone put me right on this please.
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

Either return to supplier as faulty or contact Hornby for possible reprogramming or replacement.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thanks Roger, done.
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

Which option?
brammie

Post by brammie »

email to Hornby, with copoies of receipts. I don't expect miracles after my last enquiry.