Hornby Class 20 TTS Loco in Consist

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
RAFHAAA96

Re: Hornby Class 20 TTS Loco in Consist

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 pm

You are better to ring them up and they will give you a returns number to send it back for programming.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

brammie

Postby brammie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks Rob, but the fact is that both of the two Class 20 TTS locos that I recently purchased will run only when pointing in one direction. Since the postage to UK from Germany is likely to be in excess of twenty quid (which I would be reluctant to pay), I thought I would email first and see what they suggest.

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:47 am

Unfortunately the fix is a reprogram of the basic chip, the TTS element not being reprogrammable.
Hornby usually only want the decoders and will pay return postage.
It is possible they may just replace them without needing the old ones if you talk nicely to their guys.
Rob

brammie

Postby brammie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 am

I may well give that a try Rob, but at the rate I seem to be accumulating Hornby Class 20 TTS chips I would end up with more than I could find a home for.

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I found out something today about running TTS decoders in a consist...

Give both locos the same address and everything selected on one loco will also operate on the second loco, but operate them in a consist on different addresses and we have more flexibility.

Give one address 1, the other address 2 and the consist address 10 for the sake of this demo.

You can run both motors for speed and direction under control of consist 10 but you can control the TTS functions of each loco under their own addresses 1 and 2.

As the engine sound is a function you can start each one individually but as a consist both motor will rev in unison as you apply throttle. If you wanted to (unrealistic) you could notch one or other engine up or down using F5/6/7/8, but this would never happen in real life. Horns would normally be under the control of address 1 (leading loco) but all other functions like compressor, flange squeal, coupling, etc could be operated as required for each loco. Lights as normal formhow youmwired them plus aux lighting each on F25.

With a single controller things are a tad slower swapping twixt the 3 addresses of course, but with a twin controller you can have the consist on one knob and the singletons switching on the second knob.

The gist of this taken from a document Hornby pushed out suggesting how to operate their TTS HSTs.
Rob

brammie

Postby brammie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:53 am

TTS chips in the post en route to Hornby for software mod.

brammie

Postby brammie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Stunningly pleased to report that both Hornby TTS Class 20s running again, each with lower left head light at the cab end - and working apporopriate to direction of travel. DCCconcepts 2mm Tower PROTO White, although they do lean towards amber. I have 1K droppers in series, but may just double that to dim the lights. I understand the white lead to be intended for the other end of the loco (the front, but the rear on Class 20 "cab first"), but I can't get a squeak out of mine. I've finished for today, but if anyone can put me right on the white lead lights, I would be grateful. Hopefully when this marathon is over I can set the locos up for consist.

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 am

See my answer on the other forum, same topic.
Rob

Xref Rant/Moan topic this site - multiple platform postings.

brammie

Postby brammie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Managed to get the "rear" light working in the "rear" loco cab. Very slight difference in speed between locos for same throttle setting when running, but hoping this will be overcome when load the consist on he EcoS controller. Taken a short video, and am reminded that I should order a book on Home Video Making! Alternatively, I could use the nice video camera that I bought Mrs B for her birthday a few weeks ago ............

Return to “DCC Forum”