DCC Decoders

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
sparkhill

DCC Decoders

Postby sparkhill » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Found these very cheap decoders and other DCC bits on the www.

https://laisdcc.aliexpress.com/store/2977030
Regards
Nobby

GWR_fan

Re: DCC Decoders

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:33 am

I seem to recall that these were discussed some time ago. I believe that they are a clone (possibly copy) of a well known name brand decoder. I do not recall any problem with them other than the "morality" of purchasing "clones".

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 am

GWR_fan wrote:I seem to recall that these were discussed some time ago. I believe that they are a clone (possibly copy) of a well known name brand decoder. I do not recall any problem with them other than the "morality" of purchasing "clones".

I was wondering if maybe this company actually manufacture decoders for other brands ? like televisions where the same set can appear in a multitude of different brand names, after spending a large part of my working life selling TVs and HiFi gear I know that this practice has been going on for years especially after the introduction of colour TV, maybe they are not clones but the real McCoy.
Regards
Nobby

SRman

Postby SRman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 am

That is quite possible, Nobby. As you already know, many of the electronic components and pcbs come from the same factories and get used by several different manufacturers in their assemblies. We see this in computer components too.

Even car manufacturers are doing it - several Ford and Mazda models share their base platforms and mechanical bits over here in Australia; the Ford badged bits are often cheaper to buy but are exactly the same components as the Mazda ones. Shades of the old BMC badge engineering! :D

On the other hand, there are some Chinese manufacturers who don't seem to be very ethical and do produce clones of other people's work. That also applies to the automotive industry.

RFS

Postby RFS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 am

These decoders are, allegedly, using an old version of TCS firmware. It is likely that there are other cheap brands of decoder around that have done the same thing. There are many reports on various forums that these decoders have their limitations.

Model locos are very expensive these days and choosing a decoder simply because it's the cheapest is often not the best, especially when there are quality decoders around that will provide much better perfomance. Lenz Standard+, for example, for around £17-18 and which comes with 10-year warranty.
Robert Smith

Return to “DCC Forum”