By Passing DCC

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
monty2420

By Passing DCC

Postby monty2420 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi
I have a LMS diamond Jubilee 462 princess class loco fitted for
dcc working. As I don't run dcc can anyone show/ tell me how to by pass the socket in the tender
I am having constant problems with the fine wire running from the engine breaking
from the mini connector. Soldering is out because of the fine connector.
any help would be appreciated.
This loco is a nightmare to run any one else have a problem?
Monty :? :? :?

RFS

Re: By Passing DCC

Postby RFS » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 pm

I assume you have a loco with a 4-pin socket in the tender and a 4-pin plug from the loco. In this case it matters not whether it's DCC-fitted (ie has a decoder in the socket in the tender) or DCC-ready (has a blanking plug in the socket). The pickups from the engine go via two wires to the tender, and the feed to the motor back through the other two.

You therefore do need to get the wiring fixed. If it's a Hornby loco they may be able to do it for you for a small charge.
Robert Smith

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:40 pm

If you have no intention of running the loco on DCC and no intention of selling it, you don't need the link to the tender. Two of the wires come from the pickups and two go to the motor. Connect one pickup wire to each motor wire. If the loco runs the wrong way swap them around. You may loose the benefit of any pickups fitted to the tender, but 4-6-2s have run without tender pickups for years.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 am

Yes, wot 'e' sed!

I had to do something similar when using a Bachmann LMS 3F chassis under my Southern Q class loco with a Wills white metal body and tender. I don't have pickups in the tender so snipped the plug off the four wires, then by trial and error - all wires are black! - I worked out which two were the track wires and which two were the brush wires, then carefully tagged them for my use with a hard-wired decoder in the loco itself. In Monty's case, he only needs to connect each track wire to the brush wire and all should be well.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:04 am

Monty leave it as is, insert an 8 pin blanking in the tender socket plug, then do yourself a favour and buy Hornby's extraction tool. Its purpose is to extract the connecting linkage plug from its socket without putting any strain on the wires. Do not pull on the fragile wires of the loco plug as a means to separate the connection or.... :shock: :oops: is inevitible.

The Hornby tool is affordable and as much a must have as a wheel gauging tool in every contemporary rail modeller's inventory.. Any good quality PC IC chip extractor tool will also do the job, but Hornby's tool is perfect. No soldering or DCC to DC modifications required. Most saliently, no more expletives trying to extract the plug, nor broken wires.

monty2420

Postby monty2420 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks all
I am used to repairing all older locos
but did not want to crack this one, now all fixed
motor wise any clue on how i keep the front bogie
on the track its driving me nuts.Kids bought me the set in 2012
Diamond Jubilee and have hardly used it because its annoying trying
keep it on the rails. :x :x :x
I prefer all running engines not display pieces.
Monty

Return to “DCC Forum”