DCC questions - Roco Multimaus

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
EddScott

DCC questions - Roco Multimaus

Postby EddScott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:08 pm

I have the Roco Multimaus Pro system. I bought it for the wireless option and the intention to use Rocomotion as my planned layout was fairly complex and I wanted to use PC control.

However, I have subsequently moved and no longer have a layout at the moment. I initially had a Powercab which I really liked, more so than the multimaus controller.

I plan to build a small TMD layout to at least run my locos and have plans to convert my garage which may be used for a layout in the future.

I have considered going back to the Powercab but I know it can't read back CVs which the Roco can. My first question is how important is it to be able to do this? I never needed to before.

Also, if I stick with the Roco, will it work with the z21 system? And how would it benefit me? The Pro system was only available for a short time before the z21 system came out.

Bigmet

Re: DCC questions - Roco Multimaus

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 am

I don't read CV's very often, but it is a facility that is really useful when you need it, like setting up accessory decoders. The value in buying a well engineered full system is that it comes with all the stuff loaded, so you have got it when it would be useful. I rather think you will find a cut down starter system like the powercab a little restrictive, given what you currently have.

However I think the user interface aspect of DCC systems is the most important factor, (they all do the same job of running trains and auxiliaries on the same standardised basis) as it is how it works for you in or under the hand. Just like some cars have good control layouts and operating features, and others 'not so much' and are a chore to drive. So I would strongly suggest trying 'everything out there' before settling the decision, after all you have a working DCC system already, and as yet no layout, so there is no rush.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 am

The Powercab most certainly CAN read CVs.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

https://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk

Rog (RJ)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am

I agree with Rog (RG). As a PowerCab user myself it certainly can read CVs.
This is an extract of how to read CVs using the PowerCab.. (red text are my comments)

Press the prog/esc key 4 times. Look for “use program trk”.
Press enter
Press 2 for CV. The display will read: prog CV num. Enter the CV you wish to change or read, press enter
The Powercab will access the decoder and display the current value of that CV. Here its reading the value of the selected CV.
If you do not wish to change the CV, press enter then press prog /esc. to exit out to a normal loco running screen
If you want to change the value of the CV, enter it on the keypad now. If you make a mistake, just reenter the number.
Press enter when you are done, then press prog /esc. to exit out to a normal loco running screen.

As for how important is it to be able to read CVs? It is a great tool to have. As without being able to read the current value in a CV how do you know what to alter it to? If you cant read the current CV value all you can do is best guess and enter new values at will, until the required result is reached-bit hit and miss really then. Certainly not a recommend practice where CV29 is concerned! :shock:
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website

Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 pm

I find JMRIs Decoder Pro http://jmri.org/help/en/html/apps/Decod ... tall.shtml is the best way of changing CVs as needed and it can be used with a Powercab through an adaptor https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/nce ... -powercab/

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm

If you use the roster feature in DecoderPro you will have little need to read CVs if you set the decoders up from scratch when new - all the CV values will be retained in DecoderPro so you can tweak them there and just write the changes.

The big difference between the Multimaus Pro and the PowerCab as far as programming is concerned is that the Mulltimaus Pro has a separate programming track, while the PowerCab requires an adaptor (available from NCE) to create a separate programming track.

If you like the NCE system it might be worth looking at upgrading the PowerCab to a full NCE system based around the Powerhouse Pro to get something more equivalent to the Multimaus Pro.

Suzie x

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Suzie wrote:......... while the PowerCab requires an adaptor (available from NCE) to create a separate programming track.

Suzie x

You don't need an adaptor, a simple manually operated changeover switch can be used but the adaptor allows programming to happen automatically without having to remember to throw a switch.

Edit. Just to add that the switch should be a dpdt type.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

https://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk

Rog (RJ)

AustralisRico

Postby AustralisRico » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:02 am

EddScott wrote:Also, if I stick with the Roco, will it work with the z21 system? And how would it benefit me? The Pro system was only available for a short time before the z21 system came out.

The Z21 yes but not so certain about the z21 (black is the pro model white is basic). I got the Z21 pro as it supports extra controllers and also has the sniffer port which I believe you can use to pass any controller through (I have yet to test but it’s possible in theory)

Please confirm which Z21 system your referring to and I’ll look up the specs and compatibility.

Return to “DCC Forum”