Insul V Electro

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Electraman

Insul V Electro

Post by Electraman »

Hi,
I'm in the process of selling my G scale and going to ON30. In G it's relatively simple. However in ON30 I want to use Electro frog points. I just want to get it clear in my mind. I also prefer to Communicate with a real human bean, as opposed to online or a piece of paper. Based on people's own experiences could someone explain how to wire Electrofrog for DCC Operation?

Talking about Points, Turnouts as they are called in Trump Land, has anyone got one of those Peco Smart Switch sets and are they good?

Pete.
Bufferstop

Re: Insul V Electro

Post by Bufferstop »

It's harder to do better than the explanations given by our electrical expert Flashbang. Take a look at his website here.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I am going to get shot for saying it :lol: but on my new loft layout i am using electrofrog points right out of the box - this relies on the point blades making good electrical contact with the rails which means ensuring they are clean at all times :!: but removes the need for point motors/switches etc. Something that gave me trouble last time and stalled the project.

The only additional bit needed in addition to the point itself is insulated rail joiners, as Bufferstop said Flashbangs site is a must as it shows all of this really nicely http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Live
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Slightly off topic but one thing that rarely gets mentioned on the subject of dead v live frogs is fact that dead frogs points do eventually wear down at the point of the frog through the constant hitting of the frog by wheels, resulting in an increasing extent of drop of wheels across the gap causing more hitting of the frog causing more wear...
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I hadn't thought about that, it would be interesting to see how long that would take. I have moved over to electrofrog only so wont matter but still interesting
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

There is a scenario where using live frogs without isolating will create a short on a continuous loop type layout. It all depends on the type of track plan you're using Alex.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Mountain wrote:There is a scenario where using live frogs without isolating will create a short on a continuous loop type layout. It all depends on the type of track plan you're using Alex.
I am using insulated rail joiners on the two rails near the frog bit as per instructions, is this what you mean? or do you mean not adapting the points for DCC use via polarity switch?

if its the latter what type of track plan would cause issues? - I want to make sure i understand it so i don't get caught out.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That will be fine Alex, two isolating rail joiners on the rails from the crossing will do it.

If the layout is in operation more than a few years you probably will find yourself having to work on blade contact on at least some of the points. I operate a very 'mixed economy' on point control. Those that cannot be easily reached or are planned for future automation using DCC are motored with full switching, those where it is more convenient to have control at the board edge (most yards) are on slide switch and pushrod control, so also switched. A couple of small yards on the board front edge the points are moved by finger of god, and rely on blade contact. A couple need occasional tweaks to ensure reliable contact.

Plastic crossing noses. The frst two Peco large radius points I bought long ago were insulfrog. I wore the plastic down within a year (and fixed it by using Araldite to glue in a shaped wedge of rail) and thereafter have only used live crossings.
Electraman

Post by Electraman »

Thank you everyone,

The fog in my mind is clearing, I'll go Electro.