Black 5

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
crazypotter

Black 5

Postby crazypotter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi all. Been scouring the market recently for a black 5, 5mt loco for my new DCC layout. Found that Rails of Sheffield are offering a brand new Hornby one with TTS sound for 159.50. Now, in my book that seems a pretty good deal!. Any of you folks got one of these and are they a decent unit?. Thanks.

Paul-H

Re: Black 5

Postby Paul-H » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi

I had one and I found it rather lacking in pulling power

It looked ok and sounded ok but would sit there spinning its wheels with more than 4 coaches, so I sold it and got the Bachmann 5MT and put sound in it, cost worked out almost the same but the Bachmann would easily pull 12 coaches.

Don't know if my Black 5 had a fault or if they are all like it.

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:22 pm

I don't know if the Black 5 is one of them but many Hornby locos which had previously been tender driven suffer from hauling around a tender containing a diecast motor block minus the electrics. An attack with a hacksaw greatly improves their hauling power.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:20 am

There are two versions that have been released in loco drive. One is a full detail model and the other the Railroad (ex-tender drive model) with shorter loco body. The Railroad model suffers from a heavy die-cast chassis plus more importantly very draggy power pickups. If you do as Bufferstop has stated and remove some of the tender chassis and then either remove or relieve the power pickups then the loco will perform well.

Most cost effective way to get a nice black 5 is the "Going Home" trainpack from Hornby. Sell off the three high detail LMS Stannier coaches in the pack and use some of the money for a sound decoder (TTS or full sound). The coaches would sell for around GBP 20.00 plus each and a TTS decoder is less than GBP40.00 and only takes about thirty minutes to fit.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 pm

I bought the TTS black 5 and it's instantly become my favorite loco, here's a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV2U12_GMBQ

also bought the going home set, which at £150 from hattons is a ridiculously good deal, both locos are the super detail model and identical aside from the livery and TTS decoder, and I'm unsure what the previously mentioned issue with pulling power was, neither of mine have had any difficulty in that area

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Part 1: See GWR-fan's post above, Hornby offer Black Fives in two very different variations. They both have the same mechanism, but the less detailed Railroad item is hobbled by the overweight and draggy tender. Fortunately fixable by anyone with the will to do so, as described above.

Part 2: Hornby's tender pick ups can go very draggy after significant running has been accrued, can affect any tender loco in their range from my experience to date. Worst I have seen is an 8F that I own, the loco could barely move itself when this kicked in. Take the wipers out of contact with the wheelbacks or remove them entirely.

Return to “DCC Forum”