Digital power

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
RAFHAAA96

Re: Digital power

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm

The art of soldering. One of our test jobs in my apprenticeship was to make a model of the Eiffel Tower from wire using different melting point solders to achieve the task, else It all fell apart.

This part of the training course came after I was already soldering model aero wheels on - as normally happens in life.

...ditto welding - I went on the course to properly learn how after I had rebuild a Triumph Herald chassis from the ground up.

But it all adds to the portfolio of skills as we say.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Todays soldering win - replacing the right speaker in my Bose over the ear headphones, they are at least 6-7 years old so well outside any warranty, so i thought i would try and fix them myself.

I had assumed it was the wire that went over the headband but after a fair bit of troubleshooting (soldering / unsoldering wires) it turned out to be the speaker - £8 from ebay got a new one and they are back up and running :D

i'm over the moon, i use these headphones everyday at work and have been lost without them & rather pleased with myself for fixing them :lol:

Its another example of how useful soldering can be

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Whilst on the subject of soldering, just a heads up, Aldi are selling a 60W temperature controlled soldering station this Sunday for £20. This should be more than capable of soldering droppers onto rails. It's probably not the best quality set up but at that price plus a 3yr warranty it's certainly worth a punt by anyone on a budget. There are other hobby tools on offer which might be of interest too.

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with the company.

Richard

Electraman

Postby Electraman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am

I love soldering. I used to work for Motorola UK, before I saw the light and moved here, NSW Australia, or Austria if you are an American.
I've been soldering track in G Gauge so I use a 400Watt iron, perhaps overkill like Madmax. Actually I own 7 irons from 25 watts upwards, and a Variable Temp control . I've done Z, N, HO/OO and jumped to G, now I'm going back to try something new ON30. I guess the 400W can go!

Soldering is easy, and once you start doing it you will find it a joy. In terms of connections it is reliable indoors and out, and thus will save you time and frustration than when you just wrap wire around things. In DCC that is simply too dangerous.

Pete

Return to “DCC Forum”