Comparison of features between ESU systems

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
daveo2002

Comparison of features between ESU systems

Postby daveo2002 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 am

If you can offer advice or information about the two ECOS DCC systems, please enlighten me! I am looking at the differences between ESU ECOS and their new CabControl system (or PIKO equivalent). I currently run DC and am interested in making the switch to DCC. Approaching this as a novice trying to grasp the choices, is there anyone who could provide a comparison please?

I have read the user manuals for both 50210 and 50310 systems. The obvious difference is price, and the more so if one was looking to add a handheld controller to the ECOS as now seems possible. I am still unclear about the functionality though, specifically...

BASIC CONTROL
(a) The 50210 can keep 10 locos running simoultaneously. Can the 50310 run more than that?
The manual suggests unlimited locos if power etc is adequate.
(b) How important are the 28 functions controlled in the 50310 compared with the 20 in the 50210?
(c) Does the 50210 have any advantages in terms of programming decoders?

CONNECTIVITY
(d) Do the two systems have the same kind of scope to link with a PC for route control or automation?
(e) How necessary are the 5(?) ECOS extend DINS in the 50210 over the 2 DINS featured in the 50310?
(f) Accepting that the 50310 has an LNET port which is currently enabled, what benefit could this port add in the future?

LAYOUT CONTROL
(g) Without a PC linked, can the 50310 do DCC points neatly? E.g. Can it control routes and provide a visual map for the point/signal accessories?
(h) Similarly, without a PC linked, can the 50310 control a shuttle loco as the 50210 does?
(i) And also on that note, can the 50310 control a turntable as the 50210 does?

(k) Finally, with a PC connected and doing fancy clever bits, does the 50210 offer any advantage - or the 50310 any limitation?

Too many questions I know but to be honest any insight would be super useful.
Thank you.

BananaRepublic

Re: Comparison of features between ESU systems

Postby BananaRepublic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 am

BASIC CONTROL
(a) The 50210 can keep 10 locos running simoultaneously. Can the 50310 run more than that?
The manual suggests unlimited locos if power etc is adequate.

The CabControl track output is slightly more powerful. Otherwise they are the same.

(b) How important are the 28 functions controlled in the 50310 compared with the 20 in the 50210?

You are using out of date information. Both can control F0-F28

(c) Does the 50210 have any advantages in terms of programming decoders?

Only the larger touch screen, that allows more information and options to be displayed at the same time.

CONNECTIVITY
(d) Do the two systems have the same kind of scope to link with a PC for route control or automation?

Same PC connectivity and both work with the same software packages.

(e) How necessary are the 5(?) ECOS extend DINS in the 50210 over the 2 DINS featured in the 50310?

There's just more space for sockets on the larger ECoS unit. Extension faceplates can be used to provide more with both systems.

(f) Accepting that the 50310 has an LNET port which is currently enabled, what benefit could this port add in the future?

The LNET port will allow the use of LocoNet handsets.

LAYOUT CONTROL
(g) Without a PC linked, can the 50310 do DCC points neatly? E.g. Can it control routes and provide a visual map for the point/signal accessories?

The track diagram feature is only available on the ECoS. The CabControl has selectable screens where the points and signals can be selected from.

(h) Similarly, without a PC linked, can the 50310 control a shuttle loco as the 50210 does?

No shuttle feature on the CabControl.

(i) And also on that note, can the 50310 control a turntable as the 50210 does?

The ECoS turntable feature is not available. I think it might be limited on the ECoS anyway?

(k) Finally, with a PC connected and doing fancy clever bits, does the 50210 offer any advantage - or the 50310 any limitation?

PC operated bits would be the same.

The ECoS itself does have some more features, such as the route diagram and route control capability.
However it involves extra cost to add wireless handsets, whereas the CabControl has wireless walk around handsets as standard.

ECoS is a fixed operating position console, with the option to add wireless handsets.
The CabControl is a handset based version of the same, with fewer of the ECoS' more advanced features. It is still very advanced on its own.

Return to “DCC Forum”