DCC automation advice needed *solved*

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Suzie

Re: DCC automation advice needed

Postby Suzie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:30 am

As for the LS150, if you provide an adequate transformer that can provide the full 3A, and wiring that does not loose all your power before it gets to the point motor, the LS150 will shut down with a current overload error with a PL10(E) connected. The PL10W(E) will be fine.

A lot of people do use PL10 with LS150, but they only work because of the resistance in the wiring or the use of a low power transformer that sees about 8V actually appear at the solenoid. Fine if you keep your PL10 well oiled, and get it set up correctly in the first place.

What do I use instead? Either MERG accessory decoders with CDU built in to the decoder, or DIY decoder accessory decoders with an external CDU. Both of these will drive up to 8A and will just send a pulse of correct length. The only downside is that they are both kits, and the MERG one requires you to be a member.

DCCing Dapol semaphores costs about £8 per arm with the Signalist products, or about £15 per arm with the Traintech/Dapol products. It will probably cost somewhere around the Traintech price to DCC and motorise Ratio semaphores with servos. Ratio semaphore servo mtorising bases are available for the Ratio signals to make it easy, just add your favourite brand of servo decoder.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:46 pm

okay I should add I'm not looking to do anything elaborate just yet, I'm looking more to set up something simple first to understand and learn how it all works, but either way, controlling trains from my computer seems like the best choice for me personally anyway

from reading the comments about potential drops in power, what about this option? each output has it's own CDU, which to me seems like it should be fairly reliable, plus remember this will be a simple set up so I won't be looking to be changing many points all at the same time

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/uni ... -features/

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 pm

The DCC Concepts decoders should be fine. The only failing they have is that the ones with frog polarity switching have to be initialised after power up because they do not remember which way the points were left. If you already have PL15 switches or similar on your solenoids for frog switching you will be fine.

RFS

Postby RFS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Suzie wrote:The DCC Concepts decoders should be fine. The only failing they have is that the ones with frog polarity switching have to be initialised after power up because they do not remember which way the points were left.

That was with the original design. The new design has changed that so that it now remembers the position. Some would ask why it wasn't designed that way in the first place ... :roll:

So if purchasing one of these make sure you get the re-designed one.
Robert Smith

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Excellent news, I am surprised that I have not seen any communication from DCC Concepts announcing it. These decoders should be a very good product now.

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:24 am

Robert Smith

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Michaelaface,

I notice the new avatar !

Remember costs and keeping it simple !

I shall say no more ....... whatever, it needs to be fun.

Geoff T.

To me this is keeping it simple :lol:
My guitar setup is a similar story, it’s great!

Michaelaface

Re: DCC automation advice needed *Solved*

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Update on this, got all these bits, they all work and my expectations have been exceeded as I’m able now to use my phone to program the routes and run locos whilst the computer could automate stuff in the background, very impressed!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Michaelaface wrote:To me this is keeping it simple :lol: My guitar setup is a similar story, it’s great!

My elaborate £20K studio has become unuseable in the last couple of weeks. The HDD went kaput and now theres no way I can get XP back on to get it up and running again. :evil: F&^*%^G technology! STUPID microshite!
I cant even upgrade as my midi control box connects via parrallel port. Normally win10 pcs dont have it!
As you can imagine...im FURIOUS! :evil: :evil:
Sell the blooming lot and KEEP IT SIMPLE. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Michaelaface

Re: DCC automation advice needed *solved*

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear that, luckily my setup doesn’t involve windows, although I do use windows 7 when recording

It goes
Guitar > digital wireless > noise gate > amp

Then in the fx loop there’s a tc electronic gmajor which also controls my amp channel via a bcb 1010 midi pedalboard

To me that’s keeping it simple as I can get all my sounds and don’t have to tapdance across a multitude of pedals

RFS

Postby RFS » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:34 am

End2end wrote:
Michaelaface wrote:To me this is keeping it simple :lol: My guitar setup is a similar story, it’s great!

My elaborate £20K studio has become unuseable in the last couple of weeks. The HDD went kaput and now theres no way I can get XP back on to get it up and running again. :evil: F&^*%^G technology! STUPID microshite!
I cant even upgrade as my midi control box connects via parrallel port. Normally win10 pcs dont have it!
As you can imagine...im FURIOUS! :evil: :evil:
Sell the blooming lot and KEEP IT SIMPLE. :roll:
Thanks
End2end

For a few quid on Ebay you can get parallel->USB converter cables. Not sure whether one would work for your environment though.

Eg - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-to-Parallel-IEEE-36-pin-DB36-Printer-Adaptor-Convertor-Cable-Win-7-XP/162213547275?hash=item25c4ae4d0b:g:Q5QAAOSwPCVX5Ahl
Robert Smith

End2end

Re: DCC automation advice needed *solved*

Postby End2end » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for that RFS.
I need to speak with my tech buddies to see if the pin outs are correct although I can buy another midi unit that runs on usb if I need to. I just need to raise the funds.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “DCC Forum”