ADAMS RADIAL WITH SOUND

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Southern Region

ADAMS RADIAL WITH SOUND

Postby Southern Region » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Hello all, just dug deep into my pockets and purchased the new Oxford Rail Adams Radial with sound on board. The decoder is a Loksound V.4 but the speaker is unknown. I don't know about you, but the quality of sound from this speaker is crap, it sounds so tinny compared to my stock fitted with Zimos, and it seems to struggle at full volume. Basically its not up to standard in my opinion. Has anyone else experienced the same.

I have opened up the body and the decoder and speaker is located in the bunker as expected, bit the surrounding bodywork seems to be all glued rigid meaning its impossible to access it to change the speaker for a better one. Any suggestions on this. Oh I might add that the decoder was fitted the wrong way round sending the loco backwards in the forward position if you get my drift. Poor poor quality control Oxford Rail. Alan

Peterm

Re: ADAMS RADIAL WITH SOUND

Postby Peterm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 am

I wonder if the speaker Probably a sugar cube is in an airtight enclosure, whether that be a box that comes with the speaker or that the bunker has been used as the enclosure but it's not airtight. If you've just bought it new, why not take it back and let the retailer hear it if this is possible. There certainly are speakers and speakers, but most problems seem to come from bad fitting.
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Sound is notoriously subjective, and there can be large differences in perception of 'quality' and 'accuracy'. (You should only try the world of hi-fi for 'opinion', the once notorious 'blood on their hands' comment relating to a model railway product would pass for idle banter among the golden eared hi-fi cognoscenti.) On top of that you have no way of knowing if it is the power supply, recording, decoder or speaker elements of the reproduction system that lead to the unsatisfactory performance, or quite possibly a mix of all of them.

It's either satisfying as a package or it isn't. If it isn't, probably best to return it as unsatisfactory, unless you are happy with the prospect of losing the warranty by making significant modifications. (It would be a very understanding dealer who allowed a warranty return after experiment with significant alterations like a speaker substitution.) First step would be to listen to your present model and another example of the same model in the shop, to see if better is available. Or even if the model you have sounds better heard in the shop...

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm

My dealer is a good friend of mine and the discount he offered me compensates the problem in my opinion. I am quite happy to replace the speaker for a quality one from Youchoose, the only thing I need advice on now is how to remove the speaker from the body.

Return to “DCC Forum”