Tts query

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
dgp1957

Tts query

Postby dgp1957 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi, does a Hornby tts chip allow control of directional lights and motor control, or is it just for sound?

ElDavo

Re: Tts query

Postby ElDavo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes, motor, sound and lighting.

Cheers
Dave

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 pm

TTS has an additional function output on the green wire for say cab lights or firebox glow, etc controlled by F18 on steamers and F25 on diesels, in addition to directional lighting controlled by F0.

Be aware that some models without lighting as standard will not have any necessary wires at the decoder socket.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks folks, now is there a great difference between tts sound and more expensive systems?

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 am

That depends upon several things.
How good is your hearing. Mine is less than perfect so I can’t appreciate subtle nuances in sounds.
How accurate do you want the sounds to be. If it resembles the sort of loco I have then I’m happy as I probably have never heard the prototype for comparison.
How accurate do you want to operate your models in terms of when which sound should be played. I play trains, not operate a model railway.
If steam - do you need chuffs to exactly match wheel rotation. I can’t tell if a chuff is synched with the wheels anyhow, even when someone is instructing me.
How healthy is your wallet. I can’t justify paying hundreds of pounds to get exact sound when a few tens of pounds gets me (to my ears) very similar noises.

Summary - TTS steam is Ok but can’t be adjusted for that dreaded wheel to chuff synch. TTS diesel is better in my opinion as you can drive it like the real thing to some extent. Speakers can be changed either to fit in your loco or to improve over the original, your choice. Some fiddling may be necessary to get a particular loco to run smoothly.

As we used to say in industry - close enough for government work.

Others of course have different parameters they work to, so their opinions will differ.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

See my comments in thread Hornby TTS Sound, any good?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “DCC Forum”