DCC points

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
aldothenoo

DCC points

Postby aldothenoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi I had a layout which was DC and it's now DCC. All my points are insulated points with the hornby power clips to make sure all tracks are live. My question is should I use insulate fishplates on the V of the points or should these be metal ( which I currently use ) . Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks Alan

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: DCC points

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 pm

No need for plastic insulating fishplates, as the insulated frog achieves the same object, so metal ones will be fine.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

aldothenoo

Postby aldothenoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Ok thanks. I ask this as I have a older large left hand express peco point on my layout and when I run a train over the points at slow speed ( it's on a approach to a station ) there's a small crackling noise and my train stutters until all my coaches are off the point. It's the metal wheels of my coaches touching the live frog. It's not enough to actual short circuit but it does stalling then start again. It's fine at a faster speed.

MickleoverTestTrack

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 pm

It sounds to me like you are getting shorting on the wheels crossing the frog. So I would use insulated rail joiners and put power feeds in beyond the point then get rid of the clips in the points.

aldothenoo

Postby aldothenoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:13 pm

I do have insulated fishplates but mate I'm hopeless at electrics. My loft layout was DC then DCC so I don't use or could even wire up bus wires. To be fair the layout runs fine it's just these points that shorten out. What if I used the IRJ but with no power feeds would this still work ?

MickleoverTestTrack

Postby MickleoverTestTrack » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 am

Is your layout still this one?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=51954&p=634622#p634622

Return to “DCC Forum”