kKeep alive not working

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Sammo

kKeep alive not working

Postby Sammo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm

Which is the best keep alive using a single capacitor?

I purchased 4 of the Zimo MX 634R decoders and fitted them to the 4 of 0-6-0 tank locos but they are no better when going over the Peco Double slips which are insulfrog.
You can't get the double slips in electrofrog

Bramshot

Re: kKeep alive not working

Postby Bramshot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm

I use the Zen, which come complete with a purpose made capacitor, whether you want one or not. What it does is keep the decoder alive during short term brown outs, so that the loco picks up at the speed it was set at before the brown out instead of stopping dead and re accelerating up the ramp. It will only keep the motor going for a few milliseconds, so perhaps not long enough for a loco going very slowly over your dead spots. Loco has to be going fast enough to slide over the dead spot and then pick up again. Works fine on all my N scale A1’s and A2’s over some iffy points though, even at low speed.
It seems to keep the decoder alive for quite some time, with the loco stopped. If you get a short, or do an emergency stop, the loco will pick up at its previous speed as soon as you restore power, no acceleration ramp. Or maybe the zen is programmed to store that speed when it sees loss of power and the capacitor give it time to do it.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Sammo wrote:Which is the best keep alive using a single capacitor?

Well, I have used the Lenz Power-1 (http://www.lenzusa.com/products/decoder ... power1.htm) to great effect - you need a Gold decoder for it, so it doesn't work out cheap. I think this is the Rolls Royce solution - it even receives DCC commands (as well as power) whilst out of contact with the track!

These two locos have the above fitted - so they can do their party-trick of staying powered over a section of paper:

I am also just purchasing a TCS KA4 (http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/ ... es/KA4.pdf) to go with a TCS M1 decoder - as this is a better shape for fitting into my current project.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

If you're using the supplied capacitor with each decoder, then it only supplies a minuscule amount of storage. A Zimo SC68 is a 6,800uf capacitor in a flat pack and is rated at 15v at the track. This would give you a better chance, but with 0-4-0 loco's without compensation you're pushing the proverbial uphill with a pointy stick. If you're using code 100 Peco track, you'd be better off getting a code 75 electrofrog and packing underneath it to bring it level with the track. By doing this and wiring it properly, you shouldn't have any more trouble with your small loco's.

Another idea is to make a pick up wagon permanently couple to the loco to extend the length of pick up available. I did this with a shunters truck and a brake van for two 0-4-0's
Pete.

kebang

Postby kebang » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 am

Hope I've done this right! This should take you to a year old thread on the same topic.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51663&p=631437&hilit=KAM4#p631437

This is a link to a short video I made in 2016, showing a KAM4 giving very slow running over set track points
https://youtu.be/oQfDQNarnjU

tspotter

Postby tspotter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:42 am

If you join MERG you will be able to read my comprehensive article on stay-alives in the December Journal.

Julian

Sammo

Postby Sammo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi Kebang
I carried out a search on stay alive before I posted but it didn't come up with any results

Hi tspotter
Ive not heard of MERG
so will have a look for it.

Ive now ordered 4 of the TCS KAM4 units

Return to “DCC Forum”