Zimo and split frame

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Sammo

Zimo and split frame

Postby Sammo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm

I have now done quite a few Bachmann split frame locos but the success rate for smooth running is about 20%

They all run, but no where near as smooth as they do on DC, Ive even removed the decoders in order to test them again on DC and all but one of them run very well.

I have bought a CMX track cleaning wagon to clean the track with so will try that before I go any further to ensure the track is really clean.
However the latest Bachmann and Hornby locos run really well so don't think it is that, Ive cleaned and tested the pickups for continuity so its not that.

It doesn't matter what CV values I alter they don't run any better but sometimes run even worse.
On one occasion I altered a couple of back emf cVs and the loco moved slowly and then when I turned it to Zero it sped up considerably before stopping.

Roger (RJ)

Re: Zimo and split frame

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm

What decoders and controller are you using?
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

Rog (RJ)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

My experience. I converted quite a number of the LNER split chassis types in time past, (A4, B1, J39, J72, V1, V2) and had no trouble getting good running whether using Lenz Silver (these conversions were well before the Lenz Standard was available) or Zimo MX64 where space was tight (J39 and J72) with no special adjustments; just the usual routine of CV2, CV5, CV6 to set dead slow creep on step 1, set maximum scale speed for the type, pull the speed curve reasonably linear.

All these locos would 'advertise' clearly when conduction through the bearing surfaces was going off due to dirt build up, by becoming erratic in their running: which meant dropping the wheelsets out, complete clean up of all the old lube and a very light relubrication. I had to do that pretty regularly, about twice a year on all except the J72 which put in very little mileage being a shunter.

Here's something I would try, eliminating the pick up from the equation. Connect the DCC track power directly to the chassis halves using crocodile clips and see if the mechanism runs well. That's how I diagnosed that they needed much more frequent bearing lubricant clean up than they ever had on DC operation. (I don't know why!) All worn out and the mechanisms binned now.

Sammo

Postby Sammo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 am

I'm using Digitrax controller and Zimo MX600 chips Ive had to get rid of the Hornby chips as these just don't seem to work properly except for the Hornby sound fitted locos

Connecting crocs directly to frames is a good idea, This will prove the chip and motor are good. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the bearing contacts being dirty, I've never cleaned these, (totally overlooked)

Return to “DCC Forum”