Digital sound

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
crazypotter

Digital sound

Postby crazypotter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi everyone. Can anyone advise on TTS sound locos. If the loco is advertised with TTS sound does this mean it is DCC fitted in the normal manner or is the sound decoder a separate entity than the one which would drive the loco. Sorry to sound thick but some of these terms seem confusing. I have also seen locos advertised as DCC sound fitted!. Oh well!. Thanks all.

Mod note: Posts moved to DCC area where its more suited to the question and related responses may be obtained.

Bufferstop

Re: Digital sound

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm

TTS - It still plugged in via a DCC socket but has a cheapo simplified decoder. It's still possible to remove it and fit an upmarket sound decoder.
DCC fitted, has a decoder in the socket
DCC ready, has the socket but it contains a blanking plug wired for DC operation.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kebang

Postby kebang » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 am

Just to make it absolutely clear A TTS loco is fitted with a decoder. That decoder operates the loco on a DCC layout and it also generates sound at the same time.

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 am

Many thanks. Hornby stuff seems expensive so just needed to be sure.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am

Hornby stuff seems expensive

Especially when the TTS decoder is far less sophisticated than those from other suppliers.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 am

So, would it be worth buying just a DCC ready loco and then purchasing a decoder from another supplier. Would this be compatible with a hornby product?.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:11 am

crazypotter wrote:So, would it be worth buying just a DCC ready loco and then purchasing a decoder from another supplier. Would this be compatible with a hornby product?.

Yes is the short answer. DCC is a standardised product suitable for any two rail 12V DC model. You can take any decoder and fit it to any Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby, Oxford, Rapido, Realtrack model, and run it on any make of DCC system without any trouble.

crazypotter wrote:Many thanks. Hornby stuff seems expensive so just needed to be sure.

Always a good plan to ask!

Apart from what some would term their 'full fat' sound equipped locos which have an ESU decoder (independent good quality decoder brand), Hornby's offerings of DCC fitted and TTS use their own decoders. In all my experience so far these underperform the Hornby mechanisms! Better decoders are available for less money than the Hornby. (Sound decoders are expensive, which is where TTS scores, cheaper than the the usual choice of ESU and Zimo products.)

I don't reckon they are that popular, because all the Hornby decoders I have seen in DCC fitted locos are the result of purchases made when a model is heavily discounted, like cheaper than the same loco 'DCC ready' : that is, with no decoder! Now I'll take that deal, because the Hornby decoder will work OK as a light switch in coaches with lighting, 'on/off' it can do! Testing the loco on DC reveals much better operation with the Hornby decoder removed. Then my usual choice of low cost decoder, the Lenz Standard is fitted, and the running refinement is very good indeed.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:25 am

Hi
Just remember TTS sound/motor/function decoders are a low end budget sound decoder, retailing at around £36ish all in. Including a speaker!

An ESU or Zimo sound/motor/function decoder often without speaker will sell for around £90ish or more then sound files need to be added and at times the speaker is extra too.
Sound quality is better with the more up market decoders.

A non sound motor/function decoder can be obtained for around £11 up.

Most UK OO loco manufacturers tend to use currently 4, 6, 8 or 21 pin decoder connections with Hornby erring towards 4 and 8 pin. To muddy the waters even further there are other styles of decoder connections - PLuX and Next are two that may soon be seen fitted to UK locos with PLuX the likest contender?

So always check on the decoders connection pin type and whether the physical size of the chosen decoder can fit into a specific loco. Space inside many locos is at a premium!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm

I think Plux is a dead duck in the UK (always been of the opinion that it was an overly complex solution looking for a problem, that just added three more to the variety of plugs and sockets in use for ne improved functionality). Even those manufacturers that said they were going to use it haven't, but the later 'Next18' has been used in product that is on sale. This offers a real benefit in compactness and simple installation, has the potential for simple access by a lift out panel, coal load, and the like; so that decoder installation does not require removal of an entire body.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Re TTS Decoders

Its worth remembering although they cost less than half what a ESU/Zimo will cost they are a good option if you are looking for Diesel sound decoders, their Diesel sound are very good with far fewer of the limitations of the steam versions

As long as you are looking for a Class 20, 31, ,37, 40,43, 47, 60, 66, 67

With a change of speaker they actually sound very good in comparison to the more expensive rivals, mind you the team ones are not too bad given the price as long as you are not into matching the chuffs to wheel movement and again its even better with a change of speaker.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Bigmet wrote:I think Plux is a dead duck in the UK (always been of the opinion that it was an overly complex solution looking for a problem, that just added three more to the variety of plugs and sockets in use for ne improved functionality). Even those manufacturers that said they were going to use it haven't, but the later 'Next18' has been used in product that is on sale. This offers a real benefit in compactness and simple installation, has the potential for simple access by a lift out panel, coal load, and the like; so that decoder installation does not require removal of an entire body.

The Bachmann Ivatt 2 Tank takes a Next18 and it was the easiest steam installation I have ever done, even made a proper space for the speaker to go in with solder pads on the PCB for the speaker wires with instructions supplied for the sound installation, do they do that for any of their other steam locos.

Paul

crazypotter

Postby crazypotter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input. Think I may go for a DCC ready loco, maybe a Bachmann or Hornby and buy my own decoder with sound. Are these easy to fit ?.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Paul-H wrote:The Bachmann Ivatt 2 Tank takes a Next18 and it was the easiest steam installation I have ever done, even made a proper space for the speaker to go in with solder pads on the PCB for the speaker wires with instructions supplied for the sound installation, do they do that for any of their other steam locos.

The only loco I have - so far - with the Next 18 decoder socket is Bachmann's V3 2-6-2T. That too has provision for wiring in a speaker on the same scheme: solder pads on the board and a designed wiring path to the speaker location under the chimney; and a supporting description on the service sheet. All very neat.

A good number of both Bachmann and Hornby's steam models make provision for a sound decoder and speaker installation in the tender, I don't recall much in the documentation beyond 'there is a location for a speaker in the tender, and connection points for the speaker wires'; but then the space inside a tender makes a sound decoder and speaker fit relatively simple. Bachmann use the 21 pin socket in loco tenders, Hornby the 8 pin socket. Caveat: that's what I have seen at time of writing, and I haven't seen the most recent tender loco releases from either manufacturer.

Sammo

Postby Sammo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 pm

I have ESU Locksound,
Hornby TTS and Bachmann sound locos
All work very well with my Digitrax system.
I have reduced the volumes, I am really happy with them.

Return to “DCC Forum”