NCE POWERCAB NOT WORKING

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
mjb1961

NCE POWERCAB NOT WORKING

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi ,,,,,this evening while running two trains ,as I normally do ,the trains just stopped dead ,,I thought something had caused a short but it wasn't ,,the powercab does not turn on,,,,it's as though the PSU has packed up ,,,,I tested the PSU by plugging it into a small gaugemaster combi controller ,,,nothing ,,,likewise I plugged the combi PSU into the powercab panel ,,,,nothing ,,I checked the wall socket ( 240 mains) by plugging in the Hoover ,,,working ,,,,,has anyone experienced the same with a powercab ,or anyone know what it could be ,,,,,I've had the powercab 2 or 3 years and I was only praising its reliability recently,,,I may have spoken too soon ,,,,,look forward to any replies,,,,,Martin

Mountain

Re: NCE POWERCAB NOT WORKING

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:52 am

Oh dear! While not specifically relating to your controller, is the power supply a more modern non wire wound type? I've had a modern type of power supply fail on me after a short period of time on a power tool designed for model railway use. I didnt send it back as it would have to go to Germany so I just used an old power supply with a proper wire wound transformer which powers my minidrill, and it works fine. (I now have speed control where I didnt before!)
Hope you get it sorted. Could it have some sort of overload cut out needing resetting?
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:18 am

Hi mountain and THANKYOU for your reply,,,,,I'm hoping that it just st fires up when I plug in in a little later ,hoping its reset it self ,,,I don't know about the PSU ,it's the uk version that came with it ,,I'm going to make a few phone calls later and get some advice ,,,,martin

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Tried it this morning but still dead as a dodo,,,called Coastal dcc ,which is where I purchased it and the guy went through a few scenarios but with no joy ,,,decided to purchase a second hand CONTROLER off eBay ,,a MRC Prodigy Advance 2 ,£165 ,,the seller says it's hardly been used and is as good as new ,,so hopefully it should be a bit better than the powercab ,,,shame really because the powercab is/was a good CONTROLER ,,,,,I'll have to flog it on eBay as spares / repairs ,,,,martin

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:54 pm

You cannot use a Gaugemaster Combi power supply to feed a PowerCab!
GM Combi has an input of 18volt AC. NCE PowerCab requires an input of 12 to 15 volt DC at ideally not greater than 2.0Amp.
Inputting AC (Alternating current) to the PowerCab wont do it any good at all and it will never work!

The PowercCab has no built in overload protection and relies on the power supply internal over current device. Its highly likely your old power supply that is defective. Though feeding AC to the PowerCab may have destroyed it?
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi flashbang,,,,,the AC/DC stuff ,I didn't realise at the time ,,,however,I've now bought a MRC prodigy advance 2 ,,,,I may look into a PSU suitable for the powercab and if it works then great ,if not ,I'll put it away in its box and forget about it ,,,,,

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Flashbang wrote:You cannot use a Gaugemaster Combi power supply to feed a PowerCab!
GM Combi has an input of 18volt AC. NCE PowerCab requires an input of 12 to 15 volt DC at ideally not greater than 2.0Amp.
Inputting AC (Alternating current) to the PowerCab wont do it any good at all and it will never work!

The PowercCab has no built in overload protection and relies on the power supply internal over current device. Its highly likely your old power supply that is defective. Though feeding AC to the PowerCab may have destroyed it?

Hi Flashbang ,,,,,you were right ,the PSU is the culprit,,,the MRC Progidy that I mentioned that I bought arrived this morning ,in the package was the USA PSU ,,well would you believe that plugging that into the powercab it come to life ,,,,I'm going to visit maplins and try to get a PSU that is suitable and then keep hold of it and have it as a spare,,,,yours Martin :D :D :D

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Maplins are expensive! They may not have the correct current output either. It needs to be between 1.5 and 2.0Amps and no greater than 15 volts DC.
Coastal DCC used to sell a 2.0Amp 15volt DC power supply for the PowerCab. Worth a phone call to them? http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/
Or CPC Farnell 1.6Amp 15v PSU

Andy1277

Postby Andy1277 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am

Hi. Am new here and seeking help/guidance 're NCE Power Can. Yesterday for no 'obvious' reason my power can 'froze' , the only thing that functions is the thumbwheel. All other buttons fail to respond to touch.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 am

Andy1277 wrote:Hi. Am new here and seeking help/guidance 're NCE Power Can. Yesterday for no 'obvious' reason my power can 'froze' , the only thing that functions is the thumbwheel. All other buttons fail to respond to touch.

Hi
Some things to check...
Is the PCP's red LED lit?
What happens if you unplug the small rear 'Track' feed plug, thereby isolating the PowerCab from the rest of the railway.
Are you using the flat cable not the coiled one.
Is the flat cable plugged into the correct socket on the PCP Left socket with the red LED at the bottom.
Are both ends of the flat cable correct mating in the handset and PCP?

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am

Andy1277 wrote:Hi. Am new here and seeking help/guidance 're NCE Power Can. Yesterday for no 'obvious' reason my power can 'froze' , the only thing that functions is the thumbwheel. All other buttons fail to respond to touch.

Hi Andy ,,,,I had this happen a few times on my powercab ,,,usually I just switched off at the mains ,left it 30 seconds and switched it back on ,,and it was fine ,,

Return to “DCC Forum”