HELP!!! Broken DCC Tender Connection.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Tiddles

HELP!!! Broken DCC Tender Connection.

Postby Tiddles » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Can someone fix this please,

The 4 pin loco to tender plug on my DCC sound EM1 has become detached from the wiring,
Item number 80403

John.
Attachments
IMG_20180114_174727.jpg
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

TimberSurf

Re: HELP!!! Broken DCC Tender Connection.

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pm

I am not familiar with that particular make/type of connector, but it looks like the same style as the industry standard 'Molex', therefor, it should be possible by pressing an exposed bit of metal on the side to, expunge the pin by pushing backwards toward the wire whilst depressing the exposed bit at the same time. Ideally a replacement pin should be used (and crimped on) but it is possible with skilled hands to solder the wire to the old one. It can simply be pushed back into the orange holder. Is it possible to buy the harness with wires attached? That would make life easier reconnecting the other end?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi

They are a Molex type but even with the propper crimping tool which from memory is about £40 on it's own and the propped crimps it's almost impossible to successfully crimp. They used them a lot on Quad Copter Flight Controllers and they were prone to ripping out in a crash, so recrimping was a quite common thing, but it was so difficult to do a successful crimp that most people just gave up a bought loads of wire sets and just replaced to whole lead.

Might be easier to pick up some leads with the correct plug and splice them onto your broken wires. Have a look on eBay for leads for usrobotics flight controllers for the type of thing to look out for. I got rid of all of mine and the crimping tool when I have up quad flying. Wish I hadn't now I see they are being used in model rail.

Paul
Last edited by Paul-H on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Depending on how fussed you are about it you could always hard wire the loco to the tender - i have done it on a couple of mine but can be a little troublesome moving the loco

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 pm

I'd go with Alex on this one.
Pete.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Even with the proper tool it's easier to make a poor job than a good one. Yours broke where they did because when being crimped the conductors were pinched more than the design intended. As Alex says hardwiring is far more durable. You would need to find out which pin on the loco goes to which one on the tender.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Apart from the mechanics of how you might or might not repair or replace the connector, you will also need to find out which of those black wires goes to which pin. They look reasonably nicely spaced out that they may just align with the pins, but I think you need to trace them back to find out where each one goes and then figure out where it should connect to in the loco.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Not forgetting next time don't pull the plug out by the leads, not that I am saying the O/P did but it's by far the most common reason for the leads snapping off, only pull by the plug :D

Return to “DCC Forum”