Sound chips

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Sammo

Sound chips

Postby Sammo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 pm

I apologise for my ignorance but I just don't know.

When it comes to sound chips do the manufacturers put the sound in the chip or does one program it when one gets it?

For example I purchased a Loksound fitted loco from Hattons who sold me the loco with the sound.
Did they have to program it or did Loksound supply it ready loaded?

I ask this question because I have a loksound chip which isn't working and I am wondering who I approach if I **** it up and lose the sound programming from the chip. If I reset it to factory default will I lose the sound which is programmed into it?

Peterm

Re: Sound chips

Postby Peterm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 am

Is this loco new or used ?

Have you read back the address on a programming track ?

What DCC control are you using ?

I'm not certain with Loksound, but with Zimo, resetting via CV8 to 8 doesn't alter the sound files, only the factory settings ie: address etc. I don't know where Hattons source their sound from but it might be worth asking.

There are a few retailers in the UK that install sound files on decoders.
Pete.

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:32 am

Hi Sammo,

There's no one single answer for any of that.

Talking only about the ESU LokSound decoders (v3.5 or v4), model manufacturers often have their own sound projects on them to start with. There are also third-party suppliers of sound who put their own projects on the decoders, and also sell their projects for 'reblowing' onto existing decoders (thus replacing the original projects). Then there are blank ESU LokSound decoders which can be purchased to have sounds 'blown' onto them.

There are many free sound projects available online from ESU's own website, but very, very few British ones. Those have to come from the likes of Howes, legomanbiffo (through DC Kits), Olivias, YouChoose, Digitrains, Mr Soundguy, and South West Digital (and others I can't remember). I am a satisfied user of legomanbiffo, Howes, Digitrains and YouChoos sounds, but can't or won't comment on the others.

Be aware that many more recent Bachmann sound locos use ESU LokSound Select decoders, which are cheaper but cannot be 'reblown' with third-party sound projects.

Some of the earlier sound projects from Howes couldn't be reset easily without causing anomalies, but just about every project since then can be reset to restore original functionality, with no loss of sounds. Even those early Howes ones don't lose the sounds stored on the decoder, they just lose the 'connections' between function keys and the sound slots - these can be restored through CV reprogramming. It should be safe for you to use the reset, but no 100% guarantee that it will work, depending on the source of the sound files.

Answering the question on your purchase from Hattons depends on whether the sound was factory fitted or added by a previous owner. I have quite a few models where I have added sound later. Factory Bachmann and Hornby sound locos with ESU decoders use 21-pin interfaces (Hornby's own TTS sounds are 8-pin decoders), so if you have one of their locos with ESU sound and an 8-pin connection, it means it was added from/by a third-party supplier.

I hope that helps a bit.

Sammo

Postby Sammo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am

Hi Guys thanks for feed back

The controller is Digitrax
The loco is Bachmann A1 Curlew NEW
The chip is ESU Loksound
The sound is Olivia

All done through Hattons

I've checked the chip and found that the pin 19 was not entering its female part properly so I bent slightly the pin and this worked.
I then tested it and it is fine except that the sound whistle on functions 2 and 3 are the same long then short whistle.
I've contacted Olivias sound with an email asking them about this.
Thank you guys again for your assist in this.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Good to know you've just about sorted it out for yourself.Olivias should be able to give you CV changes to sort out the whistle... fingers crossed.
Pete.

Return to “DCC Forum”