Switching to DCC buzzing and no movement

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
aldothenoo

Switching to DCC buzzing and no movement

Postby aldothenoo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi guys. I recently got a hornby select for Christmas but wanted to make sure it's in working order for my son. I have a loft layout in my loft so I bought a DCC track connector and disconnected my DC clips and hooked up my DCC connecters. I had a hornby class 67 DDC ready so I thought I'd try that. My select controller has the new firmware as it's new. I placed the loco on the track and was greeted with a buzzing sound. It was on default 03 but the loco wouldn't move in either direction? Unclipped the loco body to see if it has a chip and it did. Can someone tell me why it's buzzing and why it won't move. Any feedback would be great appreciated. Alan

Bufferstop

Re: Switching to DCC buzzing and no movement

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:09 pm

DCC ready just means there's a socket into which a decoder can be fitted. What you heard was the reaction of any DC loco being fed the AC on which DCC works. The terms to look for are "DCC on board" or DCC fitted. I think what you thought was a decoder would be the DCC blanking plug which occupies the socket and makes the necessary connections for it to operate on DC. If you didn't keep it buzzing for too long it should have done no harm, but it's the reason it's not wise to make use of the address 0 feature of some controllers to run an unfitted DC loco for more than just a test. Leaving the loco running on address 0 stationary is just the same as you experienced.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

aldothenoo

Postby aldothenoo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I thought something wasn't right with the buzzing sound and thought to myself it was on DC mode. So no damage has been done. On unlocking the body it looked to me like a decoder rather than a blanking plate as it had the little white arrow pointing as to which way it fits to the loco..? I could be wrong. I have ordered a DCC fitted loco so I'll wait until that arrives before trying it again. So when you put a DCC loco on the DCC track there should be no noise at all ? Thanks Alan

aldothenoo

Postby aldothenoo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi I have just checked my class 67 box and it IS DCC ready. So it must have just been a blanking plate. That's quite misleading to a DCC novice like me. To me DCC ready means ...it's ready to run. I now know it isn't. Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to order a hornby TTS sound loco and wait and try that. Looking forward to getting into DCC as I've always been DC . Thank you again for the feedback much appreciated. Alan

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:01 pm

It's like all those HD ready TV's they sold that could only receive HD when you added an HD Freeview or Freesat box and still only gave 720 not full HD.
The blanking plug may have some interference suppression components which aren't needed when you put in a decoder.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:29 am

aldothenoo wrote:Hi I have just checked my class 67 box and it IS DCC ready. So it must have just been a blanking plate. That's quite misleading to a DCC novice like me. To me DCC ready means ...it's ready to run...

Alan,

Going back what must now be about fifteen years, when Bachmann and then Hornby began to fit decoder sockets as new models were introduced, any number of us suggested that 'DCC ready' = 'has a decoder socket' was potentially confusing. What was wrong with the simpler 'DCC socket' to indicate the loco had a DCC socket.

We had a further cavil in that even if you bought into 'DCC ready' as an appropriate term, it still was often untrue, in that while there might be a socket, there was no space inside suitable to take a decoder that would plug into that socket...

In this latter respect matters are now much improved it should be said, once you get past the misleading label...

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 am

Blanking plug

blank.jpg
blank.jpg (3.84 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Decoder with wiring harness

R8249.jpg

'DCC Ready' means 'Ready to have a decoder installed', as you say misleading terms, why not say DCC socket or DCC Capable or as Bachmann do tell on the box of the number of pins DCC 8, DCC 21, etc.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 am

Just another of those things that could have been done better with a bit of thought.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Bigmet wrote:
aldothenoo wrote:Hi I have just checked my class 67 box and it IS DCC ready. So it must have just been a blanking plate. That's quite misleading to a DCC novice like me. To me DCC ready means ...it's ready to run...

Alan,

Going back what must now be about fifteen years, when Bachmann and then Hornby began to fit decoder sockets as new models were introduced, any number of us suggested that 'DCC ready' = 'has a decoder socket' was potentially confusing. What was wrong with the simpler 'DCC socket' to indicate the loco had a DCC socket.

We had a further cavil in that even if you bought into 'DCC ready' as an appropriate term, it still was often untrue, in that while there might be a socket, there was no space inside suitable to take a decoder that would plug into that socket...

In this latter respect matters are now much improved it should be said, once you get past the misleading label...

It made me laugh at the time. I think it was Bachmann with their class A4 that fitted a DCC socket, yet there was no DCC decoder that at that time could fit the space allowed in the model? It was like an apprentice who was given a task but not understanding why the task was relevant. One of those amusing tales I heard....

aldothenoo

Postby aldothenoo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm

It's all part of the learning curve. I'm a bit wiser now to DCC ready or DCC fitted. All part of the fun I guess lolol. Thanks everyone for your help.

Return to “DCC Forum”