Wiring of 2 x 3way electrofrog

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
iambigi

Wiring of 2 x 3way electrofrog

Postby iambigi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am

Hi all

I am new to all this so please bear with me.

I have attached part of the track plan I am thinking of laying with two 3 way peco electrofrog points back to back (heel2heel?).

I have been reading up and watching videos on how to wire one up, which seems simple enough. Are there however and special wiring requirements?

Please keep it fairly simple for me.

Thank you
Attachments
Any south.jpg

Ex-Pat

Re: Wiring of 2 x 3way electrofrog

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am

Welcome to the Forum iambigi.

That's an impressive track formation. My own experience of 3-way electrofrog points is with DC only. Are you DC or DCC?

Unfortunately I cannot draw electrical diagrams but if you haven't already planned to do it, then I would ensure that you wire up the 5 points that connect to the 3 3-way points so that each "pair" changes at the same time with the throw of one switch. By "change" I mean that if say the bottom right point is set to divert up to the centre through track, then the adjoining 3 way point is automatically set to the same route. My method would involve a long, long time sketching on paper and in the end only I would understand it (perhaps!).

To ensure you get the real "experts'" attention I would advise you to ask a Moderator to move this thread to the Electronics section as it can soon get "buried" in the General Discussion section.

iambigi

Postby iambigi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, and have asked for it to be moved.

I am working with dcc. I have done research on wiring up a 3way, which isn't a problem, I'm just not too sure if doing 2 back to back will cause any polarity issues.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 pm

moved to Electronics as requested by OP

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm trying to remember how I wired my 3 way up but to be honest, I think I more or less wired up every point isolated with it's own power supply and polarity switched frogs via point motors (overkill but I was using transponding and PC control). I think as long as the standard minimum of having the frog ends isolated you should be fine?

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:29 pm

iambigi wrote:I am working with dcc. I have done research on wiring up a 3way, which isn't a problem, I'm just not too sure if doing 2 back to back will cause any polarity issues.

You need a power supply between the two single ends, and insulated joiners on the other six tracks (other end of the points)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 am

As stated apply rail power to the single line between the two 3 way points or to the outer stock rails of each point ensuring each end has the same dropper to bus wire or feed polarity.

Peco Electrofrog 3 way point has to have frog polarity switching fitted too. They wont work without it. So you will need four separate change-over switches either operated by the motors or some other means.

Also as stated you Must fit Insulated Rail Joiners to each of the points Vee rail ends (4 IRJs per point) plus any also needed for the points leading into the two 3 ways if they are Electrofrog too.

Mod note: As this topic is for DCC control its been moved to the DCC area.
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “DCC Forum”