Sound decoder died in storage? (Repairable Maybe)

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Tom@Crewe

Sound decoder died in storage? (Repairable Maybe)

Postby Tom@Crewe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 pm

Hello All

I hope that you can help me with some advice.

I have a Bachmann class 08 DCC Ready and fitted a MX648R with the ZS08D Sound File I got from Digitrains. I am running my layout with the NCE PowerCab system.

I fitted the decoder myself and it worked a dream and I was very happy with it. The last time I had it running it was put away no problems.
I had not used it for 6 months while I did more layout building/Improvements, I got it out a couple of weeks ago and nothing worked, today I had a closer look at it.

I have checked all the joints, cables, there appears to be no burning or damage to the surface of the decoder.
I have tried it again on my programming track to restart it but the controller won’t read it.
I have tried to reset cv8 to 8 but nothing brings it to life, I have a jinty also with sound that is working perfectly.

Is there anything else to try, something obvious I have missed?
I am grateful for and help you can give.

Tom
Last edited by Tom@Crewe on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironduke

Re: Sound decoder died in storage? (Maybe)

Postby Ironduke » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Check for electrical continuity from the rails to the red and black inputs of the decoder. You might just have a problem with the wheel pickups.
Failing that refer to the manual. Electronics do fail on occasion.
Regards
Rob

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank Rob yes done all that.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Can you read CVs? Might be worth trying that to see if it is responding.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:20 pm

Do you program on mainline or programming track, with NCE?
Try program address and then try to operate the loco.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Static discharge into a decoder is a potential killer. Then there's intrinsic manufacturing defects, of component or assembly. And of course physical damage due to installation; if the board has some mechanical load on it when the body is on for example. All of these could cause a failure with no easily observed damage.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Do not overlook that the speaker may have seized up. I once had an expensive largescale sound module that failed to work even though it worked perfectly less than three months previously. On the same day that I threw it in the garbage I read that speakers can seize in that the diaphragm cannot move. I retrieved the module amidst egg shells, vegetable peelings and other assorted muck, cleaned it and fitted a new speaker. It worked perfectly.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Do not overlook that the speaker may have seized up. I once had an expensive largescale sound module that failed to work even though it worked perfectly less than three months previously. On the same day that I threw it in the garbage I read that speakers can seize in that the diaphragm cannot move. I retrieved the module amidst egg shells, vegetable peelings and other assorted muck, cleaned it and fitted a new speaker. It worked perfectly.

I had assumed the whole decoder was not working at all, not just the sound.
Regards
Rob

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 am

You might have ended up with a non conductive coating on the wheels, either on the tyres or on the backs where the pick ups contact the wheels. If you haven't used all of it for some time the rail might be in that state too. This has happened to me a couple of times so I reckon it's worth giving everything a thorough clean.
Pete.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 am

I still have to look through the manual from Ironduke. But continuity from track to decoder ok. No can't read tv's no com's. Tried on main line which has worked before and still does for other logos. And on program line. And its the whole think no movement wither.
Last edited by Tom@Crewe on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 am

Something I forgot to post first time around. I have also had decoders 'recover' after multiple resets. (Obviously won't happen on one that has clearly toasted, or suffered other apparent physical damage.) Cannot explain why, neither could the dealer who gave me this advice, but just keep on trying resets until one 'takes'; in one case it took a month, but a couple of days is the usual maximum before life returns. I have recovered a fair number of apparently failed decoders of various makes this way, and they have continued working since.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:56 pm

It's still no go, I have tried all tests, resets, etc again but nothing, not a sound or a twitch.

I have been in contact with Digitrains and they have kindly allowed me to send it to them for a second opinion and an assessment of what they think may be wrong, maybe its what I am doing or not doing, maybe its just kaput.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Digitrains have confirmed its dead

They have suggested sending it back to Zimo for repair. Has anyone done this? And how much would it cost even if they could repair it (I realise it depends on what's wrong but a ball park price).

If they fixed it I would have to get it's sound uploaded again.

Part of me thinks bin it and get a new one but at £100 I am not sure what to do.

Bufferstop

Re: Sound decoder died in storage? (Repairable Maybe)

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm

I doubt Zimo would do any more than replace it. If there's no visible sign of damage (visible to them) they may not charge, or offer to charge a "repair" fee, but it's not ecconomic to spend time fault finding, and getting specimens of failures is often worthwhile.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RAFHAAA96

Re: Sound decoder died in storage? (Repairable Maybe)

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Decoders can be mended - there is a guy who fettles slot car decoders by way of SMD replacement parts. Typically I can't refind his URL.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Return to “DCC Forum”