Does this type of system exist

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
pete12345

Does this type of system exist

Postby pete12345 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm

I got into DCC a few years ago with a Lenz compact system. It did well enough for a small layout, but it's probably time for something more.

Ideal for me would be a system based around an old laptop or desktop PC, with USB throttles for a manual input, but with the PC doing all the work. Seems like this would make for a simple means of adding a track diagram and intuitive decoder programming.

I know there's the Hornby e-link/railmaster setup, but that seems to have somewhat mixed reviews and only on-screen control. Call me old-fashioned but I much prefer a physical control. So is there anything similar out there?
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

End2end

Re: Does this type of system exist

Postby End2end » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:34 pm

I wonder if this could be a job for an arduino project?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mattc6911

Postby Mattc6911 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 pm

jmri ? It gives you panel pro and decoder pro. I know its a computer based system with on-screen throttles etc but I think it also links into other systems so a combination would give you manual and computer throttles with on screen mimic panels, and decoder programming etc . Just a thought

Cheers
Matt

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Again JMRI and it's free.
Railroad and Co if you have deep pockets.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 pm

As said, JMRI is one of many PC systems you can purchase, most DCC systems have an interface box available to connect to a PC.
Z21 can be controlled by WiFi out of the box (assumes you have smart phone or pad)
So lots of options to investigate!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mattc6911

Postby Mattc6911 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 pm

jmri is free to download and use, this includes decoder pro and panel pro. .. you CAN donate to the project if you wish, also on their site they have a list of dcc systems it can hook up to. Personally I went for the Z21 (black box version) well pleased with it, You can connect via wifi to both android and apple tablets or phones to use as throttles, or use a roco wireless or wired throttle. It can also connect to jmri so well worth a look. Got mine from Scograil at a good price (No affiliation just a very satisfied customer)
Cheers
Matt

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am

There is also Rocrail, also free. Does all you want and more, through to complete automation if you have sufficient sensors. Versions available for PC, Mac, Ras Pi and others, drivers available for many dcc control systems via USB interface. I use it with Dynamis Ultima. If you make a donation, you also get to use the built in web server to access the control functions using any device with a browser, via your home wireless, so on your phone or pad. You do need to be a bit computer ‘savvy’ to set it up. Regular updates to solve any bugs and (more often) add specific user requests.

Then there is the Bachmann offering, which you pay for, specifically for use with the Dynamis system, but available for PC only.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Pete
in theory you could try JMRI on your Lenz compact system already.
http://jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/X ... ndex.shtml
Although the compact doesn't support decoder programming by the looks of it.

Mattc6911 wrote:Personally I went for the Z21 (black box version) well pleased with it, You can connect via wifi to both android and apple tablets or phones to use as throttles, or use a roco wireless or wired throttle.

http://www.z21.eu/en/What-is-Z21/System Wow!

I went for a Digitrax DCS50 Zephyr starter system about 12 years ago and I've never felt the need to upgrade.

I use JRMI on clapped out old Linux PC for all point controls and the wi-fi throttle feature of jmri allows me to drive trains using the engine driver phone app on my Samsung S7.

There are no off-the-shelf systems that can use JMRI as the command control centre it seems. Unless you're up for making it yourself you'll have to buy another system regardless if you want to do more than the Lenz compact can.
Regards
Rob

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 pm

pete12345 wrote:I got into DCC a few years ago with a Lenz compact system. It did well enough for a small layout, but it's probably time for something more.

Ideal for me would be a system based around an old laptop or desktop PC, with USB throttles for a manual input, but with the PC doing all the work. Seems like this would make for a simple means of adding a track diagram and intuitive decoder programming.

I know there's the Hornby e-link/railmaster setup, but that seems to have somewhat mixed reviews and only on-screen control. Call me old-fashioned but I much prefer a physical control. So is there anything similar out there?

The Lenz system can operate via a computer. They sell a computer interface. I have a Compact myself and I usually use it as a slave to my set 01. I use it as my fourth controller as I have the set 01 handheld controller and two from the set 02 that I bought secondhand and the Compact. Personally I've not really wanted to go down the computer route as I prefer a physical controller to a virtual one.

Some of the modern systems are cheaper and as good as the old Lenz system. Hornby did a computer based control system though I'm not sure if they still sell it.

Return to “DCC Forum”