Sound

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
kevin sharpe

Sound

Postby kevin sharpe » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 pm

I have used the TTS sound decoder in a 31 not bad for the money some say that they are not very good but i like it got a zimo in another one and to my ears there is very little in sound between the two only thing changed is the speaker so one happy chap and can 3 hornby ones to 1 dear one :D

Mountain

Re: Sound

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:28 pm

That is good. At times we can overcomplicate things and naturally the costs go up. I only have one sound loco... One of the first that came ready fitted into a Bachmann locomotive. Though the loco was a high price, I had the cash and wanted to try it to see what it was like and it is impressive but I then thought along the lines that even with a good job, if I started converting all my locos to sound,the costs were beyond me! (In those days I had money to spend.. :D ). All one really needs from sound is the sound of the locomotive working away along with the horn or whistle, and the brake noise when one stops. (And a starting up noise for diesels). That is it basically. And if it means cheaper decoders to do this then there is going to be a larger demand then a more expensive decoder, though the more expensive version with extras will still find a market.
I'm actually surprised we dont hear more about DCC uncoupling as part of RTR locos, as we have movement, lights and sound.... One would have thought uncoupling would have gone ahead of sound development by now. I know there are one or two businesses making such devices. Just strange the main manufacturers have not adopted the idea. I saw in H0 scale that they did have DCC locos with uncoupling and even have opening doors when at a station a few years before sound became popular.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 am

Mountain wrote:One would have thought uncoupling would have gone ahead of sound development by now.

Trouble is if you're shunting it's rarely the loco that you need to uncouple. I'm surprised they haven't paid more attention to lighting on OO scale locos myself.

Mountain wrote:One of the first that came ready fitted into a Bachmann locomotive. Though the loco was a high price, I had the cash and wanted to try it to see what it was like and it is impressive but I then thought along the lines that even with a good job, if I started converting all my locos to sound,the costs were beyond me!

The main issue I think is fitting the speaker in and making it loud enough. The couple of N scale locos I've converted to sound could definitely be better but I'd have to get the Dremmel out to both the chassis, to fit the speaker, and the body, to let the sound out. The relative cost of sound decoders isn't that bad but for manufacturers but that extra work is what really bumps the costs up I think.
Regards
Rob

pauliebanger

Postby pauliebanger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Ironduke wrote:
Mountain wrote:One would have thought uncoupling would have gone ahead of sound development by now.

Trouble is if you're shunting it's rarely the loco that you need to uncouple. I'm surprised they haven't paid more attention to lighting on OO scale locos myself.

Mountain wrote:One of the first that came ready fitted into a Bachmann locomotive. Though the loco was a high price, I had the cash and wanted to try it to see what it was like and it is impressive but I then thought along the lines that even with a good job, if I started converting all my locos to sound,the costs were beyond me!

The main issue I think is fitting the speaker in and making it loud enough. The couple of N scale locos I've converted to sound could definitely be better but I'd have to get the Dremmel out to both the chassis, to fit the speaker, and the body, to let the sound out. The relative cost of sound decoders isn't that bad but for manufacturers but that extra work is what really bumps the costs up I think.

Check out the Graham Farish Class 40 R-T-R sound fitted model. Lots of lighting functions, great sound and a great decoder for excellent control. Sound also works on DC. As for cost, the decoder itself is £99 retail, yet the sound fitted GF Class 40 is only £70 more than the non-sound version.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjwffo3wEjw

Kind regards,

Paul

Return to “DCC Forum”