keep it simple

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
kevin sharpe

keep it simple

Postby kevin sharpe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:16 pm

I got rid of my all singing DCC system and went back to a Bachmann EZ controller some will say i am mad but with a small layout and a maximum of 7 loco's it was a good choice for me so reprogrammed my locos but some would not until i found this on the Bachmann web site from the USA not a mention of it on the U.K site hope it will help some it worked for me so happy bunny all round.

You can use the E-Z Command system to control locomotives that have a previously assigned digital address other than number 3. If
the previously assigned address is a number less than 10, follow the directions we’ve just described to assign a new address to a
locomotive decoder. Just substitute the locomotive’s original digital address number for the number 3 in the standard programming
procedure.
However, if the locomotive’s digital address is a number higher than 10, you can reprogram it by following this procedure:
First, remove all locomotives from the layout. Next, follow the standard E-Z Command programming procedures as described in the
“Programming a Locomotive to a Specific Address” section (but without any locomotive on the track), including pushing and holding
down the number 3 button and the “Stop” button. At this point, you’re ready to assign a new digital address to the locomotive.
Simply place the subject locomotive on the track and assign a new address by pressing a numbered E-Z Command button (1 to 9). The
locomotive will move slightly to signal that you have successfully assigned a new, lower address. Finally, push the “Stop” button to
exit the programming mode and begin operating your locomotive at its new digital address.

m.levin

Re: keep it simple

Postby m.levin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 am

The E-Z was my first digital controller and I liked it, a lot :!:
But I was required to upgrade due to the size of my layout, so I did go with a "all singing DCC system"
I think the bottom line Is, what makes you happy.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm

For a couple of months I had one in with a trainset. I sold the set which I had hardly used, to a friend. While I found the controller slightly too basic for my needs, nevertheless I found it a nice little unit. The good thing is with such a controller is that one does not spend time in messing about in manuals when one has forgot how to work certain things on DCC.
For those new to model trains, I think with such a controller one can't go wrong, though for most it will need an upgrade as ones collection grows to more locos then one has addresses, but other then this, unless one wants sound locos with the many functions, the little Bachmann controllers are nice.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Some controllers are to complicated, all it's doing is moving a loco.
But I am a tech nerd so more fictions and buttons the better.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 pm

I tend to have a keep it simple philosophy one reason why my own preferred system
is the Select. I also cheat a little, because a good buddy has an all singing all dancing
Digitrax radio controlled system as well as a ZXT and I get him to do occasional CV
value changes if needed, something I can't do.
There can be advantages with something basic and simple. We tried a Digitrax Zephyr
on our shunting layout, but found just locating and pressing the direction change fiddly.
It's easy and works fine with one of my Selects. All the DCC has to do is run one loco
back and forth as the Kadees are used on 4 feet of track.
Yes I've run Lenz, Dynamis, two different Digitrax, Gaugemaster and so long as you're not
a gadget buff like m.levin, simple is adequate.

Mind you if a loco 'hunts' and needs any CV's adjusted you're up the creek. I have my Dynamis,
but don't like it so it gets used about once a year.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm unashamedly a E-Z Command user. :mrgreen:
Although I extened the simplicity by adding 2 companion (slave) controllers too. :lol:
And although not installed yet I have one of these to connect one of the companion controllers to the rear of the layout.

My main reasons are I wanted to be able to drive trains with knobs rather than a fader of some sort. I have enough faders to play with in my studio. :lol:
And at first my layout was too be a smaller end to end (thus the forum name) layout so I would not be able to run many loco's.
This has also freed up my budget as I would not be able to control beyond 9 DCC loco's so have not bought more than nine.
Lucky as I keep finding limited edition wagons for my proposed area and some of them are embarrasingly expensive for what they are. :oops:
Another plus I find with the E-Z command it the ability to have pictures of your loco's next to thier buttons when, if like me you have no clue as to what "class" etc the loco actually is. :lol:
Here's mine.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:31 pm

If i need to adjust c.v. i take loco up to the railway club but so far happy a good entry level sstem that does not hurt my brain as the layout stands max of 7 locos on layout so plenty to go at

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm

End2end wrote:I'm unashamedly a E-Z Command user. :mrgreen:
Although I extened the simplicity by adding 2 companion (slave) controllers too. :lol:
And although not installed yet I have one of these to connect one of the companion controllers to the rear of the layout.

My main reasons are I wanted to be able to drive trains with knobs rather than a fader of some sort. I have enough faders to play with in my studio. :lol:
And at first my layout was too be a smaller end to end (thus the forum name) layout so I would not be able to run many loco's.
This has also freed up my budget as I would not be able to control beyond 9 DCC loco's so have not bought more than nine.
Lucky as I keep finding limited edition wagons for my proposed area and some of them are embarrasingly expensive for what they are. :oops:
Another plus I find with the E-Z command it the ability to have pictures of your loco's next to thier buttons when, if like me you have no clue as to what "class" etc the loco actually is. :lol:
Here's mine.
Thanks
End2end

That's brilliant. I love the idea of the pictures! I also agree that some of today's prices can be into the realms of fantasy. For example, a motor I saw for a Hornby class 08 (Newer type) costing over £50. The thing cost pennies to make at the factory. I would say Hornby didnt pay more then £2-3 for them!

Return to “DCC Forum”