Bachmann Dynamis Pro

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Metadyneman

Bachmann Dynamis Pro

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 am

Apologies if I'm dragging up an old topic but I can't find anything on here which might answer my question. I have recently bought a secondhand Dynamis pro box which was working fine until today when the handset & base unit wirelessly parted company and would not talk to each other under any circumstances. To cut a long story short, I narrowed the problem down to the multi socketed base unit of the IR extension unit. I did this by plugging the IR unit directly into the pro box top and it worked fine but plugging the IR unit into the multi plug IR adapter then into the pro box and it wouldn't work for toffee!
Is it possible to buy the IR extension unit as a separate item ?
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

thebritfarmer

Re: Bachmann Dynamis Pro

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:19 pm

I believe you used to be able to, Bachmann now only offer the complete kit and have renamed it the Ultima. I had a look at Hattons but could see one.

I assume it is this you are talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Command ... B001CXUXYW
All Aboooooard !!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:11 pm

No it isn't that bit.. its the IR extension module which the bit you refer to, plugs into. I has the 8 pin socket but also has 4 x 8 pin plug (male) sockets as part of it. The IR receiver/transmitter (which is the bit you refer to) is working fine
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Mmmm I sent mine back to Bachmann for repairs and after £100 or thereabouts
it came back and worked.
I still hate it and haven't used it since. Dynamis + pro-box & 3 hand units in the loft.
I MUCH prefer to use my daisy-chained Selects, that's saying something !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Blimey.... £100?? that's £19 less than I paid for it. If they want that to repair it they can keep it :D :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:42 pm

You would have thought Bachmann would have used BLUETOOTH rather than directional IR. It would make more sense and probably (?) work better.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:31 pm

its always intrigued me why they use IR for it, the only thing i can think of is to get a better battery life out of it?

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:56 pm

alex3410 wrote:its always intrigued me why they use IR for it, the only thing i can think of is to get a better battery life out of it?

They use IR because that's what ESU provided the system with (Dynamis is a version of ESU's budget Navigator system).

Presumably, ESU chose IR in order to contain costs to get the system into the budget price range.
Radio based wireless throttles cost considerably more and up to now, nobody has used Bluetooth for wireless DCC throttles.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm

i guess if your going to go wireless WiFi gives much better range then bluetooth

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:10 am

When DCC first came out, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi were not around, the only option for radio was to use other frequencies that could be licensed. The issue was that different countries would license different frequencies, so to make an international product with one frequency was impossible! Infra red does not need a license so is completely universal (and very cheap). The issue still exists, one good wireless DCC system is available in the USA but not here!
Blue tooth was originally designed for audio and would not have lent itself easily to data, that is now changed and V3 is data compatible (and can have more than 8 devices!). At least 2 systems are now offered with blue tooth (though they are not DCC) . WiFi is ideal, and now common and cheap, hence at least one DCC supplier has an offering.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:01 pm

To bring this back to my original post. The defective unit is currently with Bachmann for repair/replacement and from what I can gather, appears to be being done under warranty so fingers crossed, I should be able to attach the second infra red receiver/transmitter when it is returned to me.

Return to “DCC Forum”