Unable to adjust start up speed on new hard wired Dcc loco

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Neilm

Unable to adjust start up speed on new hard wired Dcc loco

Postby Neilm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:06 pm

I' m new to this hobby so forgive me if my terminology isn't correct:
I've just hard wired my first loco with a Bachman Dcc 8 pin decoder (in a hornby 4mt - not dcc ready) and the engine runs up and down in the correct direction, but I can't get the loco to pull away slowly, it's as if I'm using a dc controller. The controller is a dynamis ez command and I've played with the speed steps but there is no difference. With other loco's I've put decoders in you can pull away from a crawl, (although they were both dcc ready), but not with the hard wired loco. Should I have to use a Hornby decoder, I've used the same Bachman decoders in non Bachman loco - one Vitrains class 37 and a Heljan Bayer Garrett. Any ideas please.

Flashbang

Re: Unable to adjust start up speed on new hard wired Dcc lo

Postby Flashbang » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi
Try setting CV2 (start voltage) to a low value. Say 1 or 2 and then see what it pulls away like using 128 speed steps.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Neilm

Postby Neilm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks fir your reply flashbang. Tried it but still the same, doesn't seem to be any difference.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Ok
I would now try turning off DC operation via CV29 setting it to a value of 2 or 34 if long address is used.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:39 am

Sometimes it has to be faced that a decoder has too much output even when CV2 is set at minimum value, to suit a particular motor which is a just that bit more efficient than the general run and starts on a breath of current. Try every adjustment the decoder offers, but if that doesn't sort it, an alternative decoder may have to be the solution.

I'd suggest a Lenz Standard (good for practically all current OO RTR, it's the one I regularly use and expect the smoothest 'creep' in and out of motion) or if that fails to obtain a smooth start and stop, then a Zimo (the fairly new MX600 offers a lot for the low price).

BromsMods

Postby BromsMods » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 pm

The problem you have might relate to the version of Bachmann decoder. See the link from https://clarahost.clara.net/www.bromsgr ... ion4mm.htm for 36-553 and 36-554 decoders.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Neilm,

Does it start suddenly when you get some way up the controller dial? I remember from when I worked in a model shop that sometimes the suppression capacitors had to be removed from the motor on older models to get them to start at low speed.

Just a thought.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:46 am

I was going to suggest bemf but I see that is covered in Bromsmods linked out document above.

Note also that due to compatability problems some command stations do not support DC running - loco-0. LH100 and also EZ dynamis from memory.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Neilm

Postby Neilm » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for all your advice, but still had no joy, took it out and hard wired it into a ringfield motor driven Britannia class loco which works perfect. Next project is to chip an old 3 pole motor driven engine, is it possible, watch this space for queries please.

Return to “DCC Forum”