Idiot

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
kevin sharpe

Idiot

Postby kevin sharpe » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Idiot of the day award goes to me missed a wire when fitting a chip to a Lima class 20 got the blue smoke of death first chip i have killed in a long time,would have been ok if a steamer

Dad-1

Re: Idiot

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Always new experiences in railway modelling !!
Have I blown a decoder ? ...... I'd prefer not to answer that.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:50 pm

It didn't happen today, but when I received my first chip to DCC a loco, not only did I remove the blanking plate from the decoder but I also removed the cradle in which it sits. Boom, decoder knackered. What's even more idiotic is I did it with the next one that came along too. :oops:

The railway modelling world is a learning curve in all avenues of the hobby. There is no harm in owning up to mistakes either. You learn from them and sometimes can forwarn others too before they make the same pitfall.

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:20 pm

I've probably told this here before, in 196? We were installing some new racks of equipment in one of those allegedly top secret buildings that had no windows, a dirty great diesel silencer on the flat roof and a permanent collection of GPO telephone vans on the drive. Each bay of each rack had a power supply at the bottom, each with two large power trannies on heat sinks on the outside. Whoever planned it out forgot to add on the extra space at the end so that there would be as much working space as there was between any of the other racks. Someone decided to install the last rack the opposite way round to make accessing it easier. Forgot to tell the power guys who were coming in at the weekend to install the busbars across the end of the racks. About 11:00 on the Monday we decided it was time to power up. There was a sound rather like a short burst on a machine gun, and each of the transistors on the end rack had a half inch diameter hole in the top. Guess what they hadn't done when connecting up that wrong way round rack. After a couple of hours replacing transistors and a couple of days waiting for someone to forge some lengths of one inch copper bar into the shape needed to put a crossover in the bus bars, we tried again with baited breath and everything worked.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Had a bad couple of days with a stomach upset, needing a lot of washing done. (I'm a widower with no children)
Washing machine starts flashing an error code - guess who thinks about pushing off down to local dealer for a new machine.
Hold on a minute - lets look at the manual. Error code says "door not properly closed".
IDIOT !

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah ours flashes a code that means "load out of balance" usually when washing a duvet cover or something else that's large. Problem is I can't find a button that says "so what" or "tough, get on with it".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Yeah ours flashes a code that means "load out of balance" usually when washing a duvet cover or something else that's large. Problem is I can't find a button that says "so what" or "tough, get on with it".
its right beside the "any" key on your keyboard! :lol:

kevin sharpe

Postby kevin sharpe » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:49 pm

brit-in-bama wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:Yeah ours flashes a code that means "load out of balance" usually when washing a duvet cover or something else that's large. Problem is I can't find a button that says "so what" or "tough, get on with it".
its right beside the "any" key on your keyboard! :lol:

I have trouble finding that one

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:23 am

We're so posh that our machine re-balances itself. :wink:
Pete.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 am

I recall many years ago we had a washing machine that regularly walked around the laundry whenever a load of towels or sheets caused an out of balance condition. Luckily the water hoses were long enough never to have been pulled taut on the wall.

jaym481

Postby jaym481 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:44 am

We had a bread making machine walk around - right off the counter onto the floor. Back to hand-making bread.

Return to “DCC Forum”