The usual question ... on DCC controllers but ...

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
beejack

Re: The usual question ... on DCC controllers but ...

Postby beejack » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 pm

I would also like to suggest the Powercab. I took the decision to buy one 18 months ago and have never regretted it.

Can I suggest getting the auto sw at the same time? cost just under £20 and allows you to program the locos on a programming track. This prevents any other locos on the layout from being accidentally reprogrammed

This still keeps your cost to around £150 but is a very worthwhile item to have.

I just bought the Powercab initially and bought the auto sw at a later date. Once the auto sw was wired into the system I couldn't believe how much it simplified programming a Loco.

kebang

Postby kebang » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:05 am

Beejack,
surely a double pole double throw switch (costs less than a quid) does the same job?
Wire the leads from the power cab socket to the centre poles of the DPDT switch. wire the poles from one side to the isolated programme track, wire the poles from the other side to the layout bus. The power cab can then only power either the programming track or the main layout. To be extra sure An led wired across the programming track, protected by a diode & resistor Will show when the programming track is live .
(If you are lazy one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PACK-HO-Scale ... xyYYlRxHmP
will do the same job as the led.)

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:35 am

Anyone considering buying the PowerCab starter system, with a definite intention to upgrade with a SmartBooster and other add-ons, should seriously consider forgetting that route and rather than purchase the PowerCab, should instead look at the full NCE PowerPro system.
At current prices it works out slightly more expensive (it didn't used to be the case) and you'd be paying for it all up front, rather than spread the cost over time as you upgrade; but you'd get the full benefit straight away. Plus it comes with a programming track output and computer interface built-in.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

The power pro is over twice the price of a power cab here in the UK. See http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/nc ... -stations/
The power supply for the power pro is an optional extra at extra cost. The power supply for the power cab is included.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:44 pm

On that budget, many more full systems come into the frame. I still feel the most important aspect is comfort with control interface. All systems have the required functionality to whatever extent they are specified. But how the control interface fits into or under your hand(s) - that's an individual thing and needs hands on evaluation - there's everything from neat and elegant, to 'we would have added more buttons, sliders and knobs, but couldn't find any more space, man!'.

beejack

Postby beejack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:07 pm

kebang wrote:Beejack,
surely a double pole double throw switch (costs less than a quid) does the same job?
Wire the leads from the power cab socket to the centre poles of the DPDT switch. wire the poles from one side to the isolated programme track, wire the poles from the other side to the layout bus. The power cab can then only power either the programming track or the main layout. To be extra sure An led wired across the programming track, protected by a diode & resistor Will show when the programming track is live .
(If you are lazy one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PACK-HO-Scale ... xyYYlRxHmP
will do the same job as the led.)

Yes you could do that and it would be cheaper, indeed that's what I started out with.

By design though the auto sw is very easy to connect up just a screwdriver is needed which makes it ideal for those who don't like or have never used a soldering iron.

It has one other very useful feature - the relay chatters if you get a short thereby giving you an audible alert, not what it was designed for but it can be very useful.

Personally I like simplicity when programming a loco.
All I need to do is put the loco on the programming track, select the use program track option on the Power cab and start reading and writing to the chip. The auto sw isolates the layout from the Power cab automatically and I have no fear of any other locos being reprogrammed because I forgot to change the switch. To me that's worth every penny it cost.

kebang

Postby kebang » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 am

Agreed Beejack! Forget to throw the switch & you've got a lot of reprogramming to do! (That's why I like the LED over the programming track)

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 am

Roger (RJ) wrote:The power pro is over twice the price of a power cab here in the UK.
The power supply for the power pro is an optional extra at extra cost. The power supply for the power cab is included.

Roger, read what I posted again.

quote: "buying the PowerCab starter system, with a definite intention to upgrade with a SmartBooster and other add-ons".

There is only about a £60 difference in the cost of the PowerCab (+ Booster + Auto switch + Computer interface) and the PowerPro (+ power supply).
n.b. The price difference used to be virtually nothing.

As I said, if you have a definite intention to upgrade right from the start, due consideration should be given to the alternative route.

Return to “DCC Forum”